Hewitt named for Australia Davis Cup world group playoff
Melbourne: Australia has pinned its hopes on ageing warhorse Lleyton Hewitt to steer the country back into the Davis Cup`s world group, naming him in both singles and doubles for their playoff against Belgium in Cairns this week.
The 29-year-old former world number one will take on Belgian number two Steve Darcis in the singles while Carsten Ball will meet 79th-ranked Olivier Rochus.
Hewitt will then partner doubles specialist Paul Hanley against Rochus and Darcis on Saturday, while the reverse singles will be played on Sunday.
Hewitt was bundled out of the recently completed US Open in the first round by Frenchman Paul Mathieu in his earliest exit from Flushing Meadows and has struggled with hip and calf injuries this year.
The tie offers a chance for revenge for Australia, who lost to Belgium in the world group first round in 2007.
Australia have chosen a slick plexicushion surface for the tie at the Cairns International Tennis Centre, which the Belgians have complained plays excessively fast.
"When we played them (in 2007) they put us on indoor clay courts which is our least favourite surface -- so we are putting it back on them this time," Australia coach Todd Woodbridge told local media this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India