Improving Dimitrov sets sights on grand slam title
Sofia: Bulgarian Grigor Dimitrov, who won his maiden ATP tour title two weeks ago, has set his sights on capturing his first grand slam crown next year.
"This was a great season for me, the best in my career, the 22-year-old, who finished the year as number 23 in the world, told a news conference in Sofia on Tuesday.
"I won some big matches as well as my first major title but I have not achieved what I want," added Dimitrov, who became the first Bulgarian man to win a tour title when he beat David Ferrer in the final of the Stockholm Open last month.
"My next big goal is a grand slam title. If this is Wimbledon, it will be incredible, but any of the other tournaments will be a huge achievement too."
Dimitrov, dubbed "Baby Federer", became hugely popular in Bulgaria after winning junior titles at Wimbledon and the U.S. Open in 2008.
"I have fun with these (Roger Federer) comparisons but I hope that people have already seen that I want to have my own style," the Bulgarian said.
Dimitrov turned to Australian Roger Rasheed as his coach in October and said the man who helped players such as Lleyton Hewitt, Gael Monfils and Jo-Wilfried Tsonga, could be his secret weapon.
"We have worked out areas that need improvement, and will concentrate on them," he said. "I need to increase my stamina, in order be able to endure five-set matches. Consistency will be a key component as well."
"I work very hard because I want to improve my game, I don`t go out of the gym. I can tell you that I went straight to the gym right after winning the final in Stockholm."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate