Injured Sharapova quits Brisbane International
Brisbane: Tennis World No.2 player Maria Sharapova Tuesday pulled out of the Brisbane International with a collarbone injury, depriving her of valuable competition time ahead of the Australian Open.
Sharapova, who was due to play Australia`s Jarmila Gajdosova in the second round, said the inflammation had left her unable to serve properly.
"I started practising once I got here but couldn`t serve much... actually at all until yesterday (Monday)," Sharapova said on the tournament website.
"Just a couple days of serving is not really enough to go out tomorrow and compete at a high level, which is unfortunate. I tried to give myself a chance, like I said, I just ran out of time a little bit."
Sharapova`s place in the $437,000 tournament, with a first-round bye, has been handed to Ukraine`s Lesia Tsurenko.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- Video of Hizbul Mujahideen militant threatening cops surfaces in Srinagar