Injured Sharapova quits Brisbane International
Brisbane: Tennis World No.2 player Maria Sharapova Tuesday pulled out of the Brisbane International with a collarbone injury, depriving her of valuable competition time ahead of the Australian Open.
Sharapova, who was due to play Australia`s Jarmila Gajdosova in the second round, said the inflammation had left her unable to serve properly.
"I started practising once I got here but couldn`t serve much... actually at all until yesterday (Monday)," Sharapova said on the tournament website.
"Just a couple days of serving is not really enough to go out tomorrow and compete at a high level, which is unfortunate. I tried to give myself a chance, like I said, I just ran out of time a little bit."
Sharapova`s place in the $437,000 tournament, with a first-round bye, has been handed to Ukraine`s Lesia Tsurenko.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi