Karlovic and Stepanek out of Wimbledon
London: Ivo Karlovic and Radek Stepanek were among five players who withdrew from the men`s singles at Wimbledon because of injury.
Big-serving Karlovic pulled out with a foot problem while Czech world number 25 Stepanek declared himself unfit because of a knee injury.
Karlovic was not the only Croat to rule himself out on Thursday as Mario Ancic withdrew because of back trouble.
They were joined on the sidelines by Argentinian David Nalbandian (leg), who lost in the 2002 Wimbledon final to Australia`s Lleyton Hewitt, and France`s Richard Gasquet (rib).
As Stepanek and Karlovic were both seeded, their exits caused Victor Hanescu and Julien Benneteau to move up into seeded positions.
In the women`s singles, Russia`s world number five Elena Dementieva, a Wimbledon semi-finalist in each of the past two years, was ruled out after failing to recover from the calf injury that cut short her French Open semi-final against eventual champion Francesca Schiavone.
Wimbledon, now the only one of tennis`s four Grand Slams to be played on grass, starts on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31