Li beats Peng in all-China Shenzhen final
Shenzhen: Chinese superstar Li Na beat compatriot Peng Shuai in straight sets on Saturday to win the Shenzhen Open tennis tournament.
Li, Asia`s highest-ranking player in tennis history and the top seed at the WTA tournament, downed Peng, who was seeded fifth, 6-4, 7-5.
Li, 31, was the defending Shenzhen Open champion. She is currently ranked number three in the world.
Her success has sparked new Chinese interest in tennis as well as a swell of national pride.
China`s state broadcaster CCTV named her rise its number two sports story of 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- Roger Federer pulls out of Rio Olympics following ongoing knee trouble
- Super 30 founder wants 'level playing field' for marginalised students at IIT entrance
- SHAME! Son of Jadavpur University's professor touched girl students without consent, objectified them filthily?
- 30 Dalit groups in Gujarat form united front to fight atrocities
- Praveen Rana named as Narsingh Yadav's replacement for Rio Olympics by WFI