Li beats Peng in all-China Shenzhen final
Shenzhen: Chinese superstar Li Na beat compatriot Peng Shuai in straight sets on Saturday to win the Shenzhen Open tennis tournament.
Li, Asia`s highest-ranking player in tennis history and the top seed at the WTA tournament, downed Peng, who was seeded fifth, 6-4, 7-5.
Li, 31, was the defending Shenzhen Open champion. She is currently ranked number three in the world.
Her success has sparked new Chinese interest in tennis as well as a swell of national pride.
China`s state broadcaster CCTV named her rise its number two sports story of 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini
- Half the town is gone, says Amatrice mayor as 6.2-magnitude earthquake strikes central Italy; toll rises to 14