Li Na to sit out of US Open with knee injury
Paris: World number two Li Na of China announced on Thursday that she will miss next month`s US Open as she struggles with a knee injury.
"I wanted to let all of my great fans know that unfortunately I am going to have to withdraw from the upcoming WTA events in Montreal and Cincinnati, as well as the US Open," Li said in a statement on her Facebook page.
"Since March, I have been struggling with my knee and it is just not where I need it to be in order to play at the highest level."
The 32-year-old, who won the Australian Open earlier this year, her second Grand Slam after winning Roland Garros in 2011, has targeted a return to the court on home soil in late September.
"My medical team has advised me that I need to take some time off to rest my knee so it heels," she said.
"I look forward to getting back on the court this fall in Wuhan and Beijing."
Li was eliminated from this year`s French Open in the first round before bowing out of Wimbledon in the third round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'