Murray backs new Premier League to spread game to world
Wimbledon champion Andy Murray is backing the new Premier League to take tennis to areas of the world that have little chance of seeing the leading players perform.
Speaking at an event to promote this year`s International Premier Tennis League (IPTL), the British number one was quoted by the organisers as saying: "Being able to grow the sport globally is important to me.
"It`s great to be able to play tennis in parts of the world that don`t have a huge tennis heritage but have a big fan base."
The IPTL, which will offer prize money of $29.7 million, will start in November in four cities - Manila, Dubai, Mumbai and Singapore - and the four franchises have attracted top players.
Murray and Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga have joined the Manila group, Singapore have world number one Serena Williams and Czech Tomas Berdych, Dubai include Wimbledon top seed Novak Djokovic and Mumbai boast world number one Rafa Nadal.
Former India cricket captain Sunil Gavaskar is part of the Singapore franchise and he said: "Tennis as a sport has always been instrumental in transcending borders and catering to multiple demographies.
"Singapore rivals my home town Mumbai as one of the greatest cities of Asia and I`m confident the cosmopolitan nature of Singapore will ensure our franchise is a great success."
Berdych, former world number one Ana Ivanovic of Serbia, Australian Lleyton Hewitt and Tsonga attended the IPTL event close to the All England Club where the Wimbledon championships start on Monday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees