Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray in semis of ATP finals
Zeenews Sports Bureau
London: Andy Murray defeated Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-2, 7-6 (3) on Friday to reach Sunday`s semifinals of the ATP finals.
Novak Djokovic advanced by beating Tomas Berdych 6-2, 7-6 (6) in straight sets that meant Murray needed to win only one set to ensure his place in the semis.
"I didn`t know exactly what I needed to do. But obviously when he said that, I kind of realized," Murray was quoted as saying by a news agency after the match.
"Then I just asked the umpire at the change of ends after the first set whether I was through or not. Then he said I was. That was it," he said.
"I`m somebody who never gives up," said Tsonga, who lost all three of his matches at the tournament.
"So sometimes ... you not playing a good tennis, and you keep fighting, you keep believ(ing) in you, and then it comes better and better, and that`s it."
Murray (2-1) finished second in Group A, while Djokovic (3-0) topped.
If Federer wins his group, he would face Murray in the semifinals and ensuring a mouth-watering clash for the fans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest