Paes, Nestor lift Winston-Salem open trophy
USA: Leander Paes won his first title of the season when he triumphed at the Winston-Salem Open with Canadian Daniel Nestor as the veteran pair defeated Treat Huey and Dominic Inglot 7-6(10) 7-5 in the final, here.
Paes and Nestor, both aged 40, were playing together for just the second time in their careers.
Nestor and Paes edged their unseeded opponents in one hour and 33 minutes. They lost just one set all week. Their quarter-final win over Paul Hanley and John Peers saw Nestor become the first doubles player to reach the 900 match wins milestone (902-358 match record).
"There are two things that really stand out for me this week. One was to get Danny to his 900th win. That`s a phenomenal career that he`s had. It was a real honour to be on the court with him, getting him to that spot," said Paes.
"The second thing that stood out was playing together on the court. We wanted to get a few matches in. We wanted to see how we combine on the court. Through the whole week, we played some really tough opponents and getting to win the tournament with someone who`s a legend is really something special."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi