Paes, Nestor lift Winston-Salem open trophy
USA: Leander Paes won his first title of the season when he triumphed at the Winston-Salem Open with Canadian Daniel Nestor as the veteran pair defeated Treat Huey and Dominic Inglot 7-6(10) 7-5 in the final, here.
Paes and Nestor, both aged 40, were playing together for just the second time in their careers.
Nestor and Paes edged their unseeded opponents in one hour and 33 minutes. They lost just one set all week. Their quarter-final win over Paul Hanley and John Peers saw Nestor become the first doubles player to reach the 900 match wins milestone (902-358 match record).
"There are two things that really stand out for me this week. One was to get Danny to his 900th win. That`s a phenomenal career that he`s had. It was a real honour to be on the court with him, getting him to that spot," said Paes.
"The second thing that stood out was playing together on the court. We wanted to get a few matches in. We wanted to see how we combine on the court. Through the whole week, we played some really tough opponents and getting to win the tournament with someone who`s a legend is really something special."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested