Paes-Stepanek pair loses in final of Japan Open
Tokyo: Leander Paes and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek faltered at the final hurdle as they suffered an upset straight-set defeat at the hands of Alexander Peya of Austria and Brazil`s Bruno Soares to finish runners-up at the ATP Japan Open here on Sunday.
The fourth seeded Austrian-Brazilian pair defeated top seeds Paes and Stepanek 6-3, 7-6 (5) in an hour and 46 minutes in the USD 1,280,565 hard court event to win their second ATP World Tour doubles titles in as many weeks.
Peya and Soares added the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships trophy to their Malaysian Open, Kuala Lumpur trophy.
But Paes and Stepanek have clinched their first team berth at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London next week, after they booked a place in the Tokyo final.
The Indo-Czech combo has also earned 300 doubles rankings points. They dropped to a 26-9 match record in the season, which includes two titles.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?