Paes-Stepanek pair loses in final of Japan Open
Tokyo: Leander Paes and his Czech partner Radek Stepanek faltered at the final hurdle as they suffered an upset straight-set defeat at the hands of Alexander Peya of Austria and Brazil`s Bruno Soares to finish runners-up at the ATP Japan Open here on Sunday.
The fourth seeded Austrian-Brazilian pair defeated top seeds Paes and Stepanek 6-3, 7-6 (5) in an hour and 46 minutes in the USD 1,280,565 hard court event to win their second ATP World Tour doubles titles in as many weeks.
Peya and Soares added the Rakuten Japan Open Tennis Championships trophy to their Malaysian Open, Kuala Lumpur trophy.
But Paes and Stepanek have clinched their first team berth at the Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in London next week, after they booked a place in the Tokyo final.
The Indo-Czech combo has also earned 300 doubles rankings points. They dropped to a 26-9 match record in the season, which includes two titles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued