Pavlyuchenkova reaches quarterfinals at Monterrey Open
Monterrey: Second-seeded Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova of Russia defeated Melanie Oudin of the United States 6-2, 7-6 (6) on Wednesday to reach the quarterfinals of the Monterrey Open hard-court tournament.
Top-seeded Jelena Jankovic of Serbia got off to a confident start to her tournament, downing Spain’s Lourdes Dominguez Lino 6-4, 6-1 in a first round match.
No. 8 Polona Hercog of Slovenia also reached the quarterfinals, defeating Barbora Zahlavova Strycova of the Czech Republic 6-4, 6-7 (4), 6-2.
No. 6 Sara Errani of Italy was knocked out in the second round, beaten by Greta Arn of Hungary 4-6, 7-5, 6-4.
In a late first round match, Argentina’s Gisela Dulko eliminated No. 7 Iveta Benesova of the Czech Republic 6-2, 7-6 (3).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional