Rafael Nadal advances to second round in Mexican Open
Acapulco (Mexico): Rafael Nadal defeated Diego Schwartzman of Argentina 6-2, 6-2 to advance to the second round of the Mexican Open.
The seven-time French Open winner is making a comeback after being away from the tour for more than seven months with a left-knee injury.
Nadal made the final of the VTR Open earlier this month in Chile before losing to Argentine Horacio Zeballos. A week later he reached the final of the Brazil Open and defeated David Nalbandian to secure the title.
He is seeded No. 2 in the clay court tournament at Mexico, behind fellow Spaniard David Ferrer.
Ferrer also won his first-round match on Tuesday, defeating Antonio Veic 6-0, 6-3. Ferrer is the three-time defending champion and won last week in Buenos Aires, his second title of the season.
No. 3 seed Nicolas Almagro of Spain defeated Cesar Ramirez of Mexico 6-0, 6-1.
Nadal rested last week, giving his left knee a chance to heal. He has said the knee still hurts and has been told he has to live with it until the pain slowly goes away. No. 4 seed Stanislas Wawrinka was upset by Fabio Fognini 6-2, 7-6 (3).
Meanwhile in the women`s side of the combined ATP-WTA tournament, top-seeded and defending champion Sara Errani of Italy defeated Alexandra Cadantu of Romania 6-3, 6-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test launches first ever indigenous space shuttle
- PM Modi to meet top Iranian leaders today
- Pakistan denounces US drone strike on Taliban chief Mullah Mansoor
- BJP's Roopa Ganguly attacked by Trinamool workers near Kolkata
- PM Modi in Tehran: India, Iran sign historic pact on Chabahar port
- High alert across LoC after terror attacks in Srinagar, manhunt on for Hizb-ul-Mujahideen militants
- ISRO's RLV-TD launch: Why it matters to India!
- Meet Priyanka Chopra's 'woman crush'! You will love her for sure
- Watch – 'Hillary Clinton lying for 13 minutes straight'
- Another blockbuster? Salman Khan's next with Kabir Khan based on human drama!