Rafael Nadal advances to second round in Mexican Open
Acapulco (Mexico): Rafael Nadal defeated Diego Schwartzman of Argentina 6-2, 6-2 to advance to the second round of the Mexican Open.
The seven-time French Open winner is making a comeback after being away from the tour for more than seven months with a left-knee injury.
Nadal made the final of the VTR Open earlier this month in Chile before losing to Argentine Horacio Zeballos. A week later he reached the final of the Brazil Open and defeated David Nalbandian to secure the title.
He is seeded No. 2 in the clay court tournament at Mexico, behind fellow Spaniard David Ferrer.
Ferrer also won his first-round match on Tuesday, defeating Antonio Veic 6-0, 6-3. Ferrer is the three-time defending champion and won last week in Buenos Aires, his second title of the season.
No. 3 seed Nicolas Almagro of Spain defeated Cesar Ramirez of Mexico 6-0, 6-1.
Nadal rested last week, giving his left knee a chance to heal. He has said the knee still hurts and has been told he has to live with it until the pain slowly goes away. No. 4 seed Stanislas Wawrinka was upset by Fabio Fognini 6-2, 7-6 (3).
Meanwhile in the women`s side of the combined ATP-WTA tournament, top-seeded and defending champion Sara Errani of Italy defeated Alexandra Cadantu of Romania 6-3, 6-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand