Rafael Nadal targets 2016 Rio Olympics
Sao Paulo: Former World No.1 Rafael Nadal has revealed the Rio 2016 Olympic Games has provided him with motivation to continue his career beyond the age of 30.
The 11-time Grand Slam winner is competing in both the singles and doubles tournaments at the Brazil Open in Sao Paulo, his second tournament since returning from a seven-month layoff due to a knee injury.
"The long-term objective in my mind is to play in Rio in 2016," the 26-year-old said during a press conference Tuesday.
"I know it`s a long way from now, but it is also a real objective for me."
Nadal will be 30 years and two months when the Olympics begin Aug 5, 2016.
This week`s event marks the Spaniard`s first appearance in Brazil since winning the same tournament as an 18-year-old in 2005.
It follows his defeat in Sunday`s Chile Open final to 73rd-ranked Horacio Zeballos 7-6 (7/2) 6-7 (6/8) and 4-6, his first competitive event since Wimbledon last June.
Nadal is partnering Argentine David Nalbandian in the doubles, which began Tuesday night, while he will start his singles campaign Thursday against the winner of the Ruben Ramirez Hidalgo-Joao Souza match.
Despite an encouraging return in Chile, Nadal talked down his chances of lifting the singles trophy in Brazil.
"After so many months away it`s difficult and illogical to think about winning titles," the 26-year-old said. "Even though my knee continues to hurt me, the doctors say everything is fine and that my recuperation is going to plan."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered