Roger Federer fan comes out of 11-year coma, is shocked to know he has 17 majors!
Jesus Aparicio, a Roger Federer fan, met with a serious car accident on December 12 2004, as he was out celebrating his 18th birthday.
New Delhi: Jesus Aparicio, a Roger Federer fan, met with a serious car accident on December 12 2004, as he was out celebrating his 18th birthday.
The tragic incident left the Spaniard in coma.
On August 27, almost 11 years later, Aparicio finally woke up. As he gradually began to speak, Aparicio inquired about his tennis idol.
“It came like a flash to my mind and I asked about Roger. I thought he had retired. When I knew that at 34 years old, he is still playing and is number two in the world, I thought they were kidding me. I could not believe it.
When I heard that he reached 17 slam titles, I put my hands on my face. I knew Federer was very good but I never thought he could win all he has won,” Aparicio said, according to tennisworld.org.
At the time of Aparicio's accident, the Swiss maestro was World No 1, leading then second-ranked Andy Roddick by 3,000 points in ATP rankings. Barring the 34-year-old, no players from the top ten at the time are currently active on the circuit.
“I was astonished to see him play well. It’s really amazing. It was a shame he could not win but that Djokovic, he plays very well,” he said after Federer lost to the Serb at the US Open final.
“I want to see his match before he retires, perhaps his 18th slam,” Aparicio said. “It would be the dream of my life,” Aparicio added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion