Sania-Bethanie advance to 2nd round of Madrid Open
Madrid: Sania Mirza and Bethanie Mattek-Sands overcame a fighting Daniela Hantuchova and Anabel Medina Garrigues in a three-set battle to progress to the pre-quarterfinals of the WTA Madrid Open, here.
The fifth seed Indo-American pair had to work hard for a 7-6(3), 4-6, 10-4 win over the Slovakian-Spanish combo in one hour and 46 minutes in the opening round of the euro 4,033,254 clay court tournament.
They next face winner of the other first round contest between Garbine Muguruza/Maria-Teresa Torro-Flor and Lucie Safarova/Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!