Serena, Li Na to feature in WTA Wuhan Open
Wuhan: Serena Williams and Li Na will lead a star-studded field at the inaugural WTA Wuhan Open in September.
Fabrice Chouquet, event director of the WTA premier-level tournament, told a press conference here Thursday that eight of the WTA Tour top 10 ranked players will be competing in the September 21-27 event, reports Xinhua.
Russia`s Maria Sharapova and Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic are also expected to show up in the tournament, according to Chouquet.
The Wuhan Open is one of three WTA events in China new to the calendar in 2014, bringing the total number of tournaments in the growing tennis hotbed to six. It is also one of two Premier-level stops in China.
Sandwiched in between Premier events in Tokyo and Beijing during the WTA`s Asia swing, the Wuhan Open will take place at the Wuhan Optical Valley Tennis Center.
Wuhan, the capital of Hubei Province and the most populous city in central China, is the hometown of two-time Grand Slam champion Li Na.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why