Serena, Li Na to feature in WTA Wuhan Open
Wuhan: Serena Williams and Li Na will lead a star-studded field at the inaugural WTA Wuhan Open in September.
Fabrice Chouquet, event director of the WTA premier-level tournament, told a press conference here Thursday that eight of the WTA Tour top 10 ranked players will be competing in the September 21-27 event, reports Xinhua.
Russia`s Maria Sharapova and Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic are also expected to show up in the tournament, according to Chouquet.
The Wuhan Open is one of three WTA events in China new to the calendar in 2014, bringing the total number of tournaments in the growing tennis hotbed to six. It is also one of two Premier-level stops in China.
Sandwiched in between Premier events in Tokyo and Beijing during the WTA`s Asia swing, the Wuhan Open will take place at the Wuhan Optical Valley Tennis Center.
Wuhan, the capital of Hubei Province and the most populous city in central China, is the hometown of two-time Grand Slam champion Li Na.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet