Serena withdraws from Madrid quarter-final, Rome
Madrid: World number one Serena Williams pulled out of her quarter-final at the Madrid Open against Petra Kvitova on Friday morning due to a thigh injury and also stated her intention not to compete in Rome next week.
The 17-time Grand Slam champion had worn a heavy strapping on her left leg in straight sets victories over Belinda Bencic, Peng Shuai and Carla Suarez Navarro earlier in the week.
"Serena Williams has withdrawn from her match at 11:00 AM due to a left thigh injury. Petra Kvitova wins by walkover.
"The player will also miss the Internazionale BNL D`Italia in Rome," the tournament organisers said in a statement.
Williams had won in Madrid for the past two years and would also have been defending her title in Rome next week.
However, the American appears to have prioritised being fit for her attempt at winning a third French Open title in Paris later this month.
Her withdrawal is just the latest setback to the tournament after two of the top four seeds in the men`s Masters -- Novak Djokovic and Roger Federer -- also withdrew due to injury and family reasons respectively.
Meanwhile, fifth seed Kvitova will face Simona Halep or Ana Ivanovic in the last four on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared