Sharapova joins Li Na to move into third round of Madrid Open
Johannesburg: Russian ace Maria Sharapova has joined Chinese star Li Na in moving into the third round of the women`s Madrid Open following their respective second round wins on Tuesday.
Sharapova, who won her first tournament of the season on her return to clay in Stuttgart two weeks ago, reeled off five straight games to beat world number 57 Christina McHale from USA 6-1, 4-6, 6-4 in fine form.
According to Sport24, Sharapova has set up a meeting with either Spain`s Garbine Muguruza or 2011 US Open champion Sam Stosur in the last 16.
Meanwhile, Australian Open champion Li had a more simple task as she swept aside fellow Chinese Zheng Jie 6-2, 6-3 and she will face 16th seed Sloane Stephens , who defeated Czech Petra Cetkovska, in the next round, the report added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Home Ministry holds high-level meet over ISIS
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!