Somdev draws qualifier, Yuki, Jeevan get tough openers
Chennai: India`s top singles player Somdev Devvarman was on Saturday drawn to a play a qualifier while wild cards Yuki Bhambri and Jeeven Nedunchehziyan will have to fight it out with top-100 players in their first rounds at the Aircel Chennai Open.
Ranked, 195, Yuki found world number 64 Spaniard Pablo Carreno Busta as his first round rival. Jeevan (312) will cross swords with world number 84 Czech Jiri Vessely in the USD 450,000 event, starting December 30 here.
Talking about the draw, Somdev said "I do not know my rival but being qualifier, he should be a tough opponent since he is coming in to the main draw after winning some matches."
Last year Somdev had entered the main draw as a wild card. He won his first round against Jan Hajek (Cze) but lost to top seed Tomas Berdych. Yuki was ousted in the first round by Robin Haase of the Netherlands.
Somdev, who made the final here in 2009 as a wildcard, said he is focused to stay healthy during the 2014 season in order to improve his ranking and play as many tournaments as possible."
On the draw he said, "Yuki has a tough match ahead. The draw is tough and lot of good matches are there for sure during the whole week."
Fourth seeded and French world number 26 Benoit Paire, who was also present at the draw ceremony echoed that the field is very tight and we should not be going by the ranking of the players.
"The draw is as tough as the field and it is difficult to predict the winners. No one player could be considered a favourite," he said.
Meanwhile, the top four seeds in the tournament, starting from world number eight and Swiss top seed Stanislas Wawrinka, second seed Mihail Youzhny, who is winner of 2008 edition, third seed Fabio Fognini and fourth seed Benoit Paire have been granted byes into the second round.
In the doubles event, top seeds Rohan Bopanna and Pakistan`s Aisam-ul-Haq Qureshi have been drawn to play defending champions Paire and Wawrinka.
The second seeds Leander Paes and Italian Fabio Fognini will take on Croats Marin Draganja and Mae Pavic.
Men`s Doubles: First Round:
 R Bopanna (IND) / A Qureshi (PAK) vs. B Paire (FRA) / S Wawrinka (SUI)
P Carreno Busta (ESP) / A Ramos (ESP) vs. [WC] K Khachanov (RUS) / S Myneni (IND)
 J Brunstrom (SWE) / F Nielsen (DEN) vs. T Bednarek (POL) / M Elgin (RUS)
N Monroe (USA) / F Moser (GER) vs. P Raja (IND) / D Sela (ISR) Y Lu (TPE) / D Sharan (IND) vs. G Garcia-Lopez (ESP) / P Oswald (AUT)
J Erlich (ISR) / A Ram (ISR) vs.  A Begemann (GER) / M Emmrich (GER)
[WC] N Balaji (IND) / R Ramanathan (IND) vs. S Lipsky (USA) / R Ram (USA)
M Draganja (CRO) / M Pavic (CRO) vs.  F Fognini (ITA) / L Paes (IND).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Xiaomi MIUI 8 ROM starts rolling out: Know which phones in India will get the update
- Denied help by hospital authorities, Odisha man walks 10-km carrying wife's dead body; WATCH
- Salman Khan's fan trolled, criticised Yogeshwar Dutt after he was out of Olympics. Here's his FITTING reply
- Setback for NSUI as ABVP wins big in student union polls in Rajasthan
- North Korea leader says missile test `greatest success`