Somdev gives India a 4-0 lead in Davis Cup
Bangalore: Somdev Devvarman scored an easy win against Indonesia`s David Agung Susant as the hosts extended their lead to 4-0 in the Asia-Oceania Group I Davis Cup relegation play-off tie on Sunday.
India`s spearhead overcame the number two Indonesian David 6-3 6-1 in little over an hour. Somdev broke the rival in the sixth game of the opening set, second set and the match by breaking his opponent thrice.
With a motley crowd watching the proceedings, the opening set went with serve until the sixth game when David dumped a forehand long outside the baseline to trail 2-4.
Though the Indonesian saved his eighth game negating Somdev to pull off the set, he lost the set in the ninth game when he blasted a forehand smash wide as he greedily eyed a winner down the line.
Both players held serve until the third game of second set when David, running in hard across the ball, smashed the ball outside the sideline to give India 2-1 lead. However, the Indonesian did not give in easily in the fourth game, forcing the Indian to earn points.
Then Somdev broke the Indonesian for the second time in the fifth game after David smashed the backhand shot wide over the sideline.
Joy among the spectators mounted as Somdev broke for the final time in the seventh game. The Indian coming back from 15-30 down served hard before he sealed victory on his match point when David pushed a forehand smash wide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH