Suarez Navarro claims Portugal title
Oeiras, Portugal: Spain`s Carla Suarez Navarro claimed her first WTA title on Saturday when she beat Russia`s Svetlana Kuznetsova 6-4 3-6 6-4 at the Portugal Open.
She had lost her previous five WTA finals and stuttered from 4-1 up in the decider against the twice grand slam champion before edging home in two hours 10 minutes.
In the men`s event Tomas Berdych can clinch a first claycourt title for five years on Sunday after reaching the final with a 6-2 6-2 victory over Romania`s Victor Hanescu.
The Czech world number six was untroubled by Hanescu, powering into a final against Argentina`s Carlos Berlocq.
Berdych, regarded as a hardcourt specialist, last won a tournament on clay in Munich in 2009.
Berlocq beat Daniel Gimeno-Traver of Spain 7-6(6) 6-2.
Suarez Navarro said she was delighted to continue an impressive season with some big tournaments ahead.
"I`m very happy I could finally win my first WTA title," she told the WTA website (www.wtatennis.com)
"I was a little bit nervous today. It was a difficult match too - it was windy today and we were both making mistakes.
"Now there`s Madrid, Rome and Roland Garros, which to me is the best tournament of the year, but it`s still far - most important right now is the next tournament in Madrid."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes