Top seed Azarenka battles through in Indian Wells
Victoria Azarenka improved her unbeaten record this year to 18-0 after battling past Germany`s Mona Barthel 6-4, 6-7, 7-6 in Friday`s second round of the Indian Wells WTA tournament.
Top seed and world number one Azarenka squandered a 5-1 lead in the second set and then came from 1-4 and 3-5 down in the third before sealing victory 8-6 in the tiebreak when her opponent hit a backhand long.
The Belarusian, who clinched her first grand slam crown at the Australian Open in January, double-faulted 10 times in an error-strewn third set and celebrated in subdued fashion when the match ended after three hours on the stadium court.
She will next meet 25th-seeded Russian Svetlana Kuznetsova, who advanced after Swiss Timea Bacsinszky retired hurt with a wrist injury when trailing 3-6, 0-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31