Two upsets on day one of AITA Tennis Championship
Bangalore: The first round of the 3rd All India Prize Money Tennis Championship got off to a stunning start as unseeded Adnya Naik and Pragati Natarajan came up trumps against their seeded rivals here on Tuesday.
Adnya of Maharashtra overwhelmed top seed Manya Nagpal of Delhi 7-5, 6-1 in the opening round of the tournament. Adnya played a positive game, attacking at every opportunity to put her rival on the back foot.
Manya kept pace for a while in the first set, which she ultimately lost 5-7, simply caved in the second one with unforced errors.
In another upset, wild card Pragati of Tamil Nadu defeated the sixth seed Sanya Madan 6-2, 6-1.
Former state player Asha Nandakumar of Karnataka rallied to beat B Sayali 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.
The other winners from Karnataka included Varunya Chandrashekar, Likitha Shetty and Preethi Ujjini.
Those who made it to the main draw were:
Men: Rishab Dev Ram, C D Ajay, Manu Bajpai, Rishab Agarwal, Ramesh Vignesh, Taha Kapadia, Sagar Manjanna and L Balajai.
Women: Riya Bhatia, Anusha Bhasin, Moulika Ram, J Sindhu, Swetha srihari, Nikita Bishnoi and Saumya Vig.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?