Two upsets on day one of AITA Tennis Championship
Bangalore: The first round of the 3rd All India Prize Money Tennis Championship got off to a stunning start as unseeded Adnya Naik and Pragati Natarajan came up trumps against their seeded rivals here on Tuesday.
Adnya of Maharashtra overwhelmed top seed Manya Nagpal of Delhi 7-5, 6-1 in the opening round of the tournament. Adnya played a positive game, attacking at every opportunity to put her rival on the back foot.
Manya kept pace for a while in the first set, which she ultimately lost 5-7, simply caved in the second one with unforced errors.
In another upset, wild card Pragati of Tamil Nadu defeated the sixth seed Sanya Madan 6-2, 6-1.
Former state player Asha Nandakumar of Karnataka rallied to beat B Sayali 4-6, 6-4, 6-4.
The other winners from Karnataka included Varunya Chandrashekar, Likitha Shetty and Preethi Ujjini.
Those who made it to the main draw were:
Men: Rishab Dev Ram, C D Ajay, Manu Bajpai, Rishab Agarwal, Ramesh Vignesh, Taha Kapadia, Sagar Manjanna and L Balajai.
Women: Riya Bhatia, Anusha Bhasin, Moulika Ram, J Sindhu, Swetha srihari, Nikita Bishnoi and Saumya Vig.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened