US Open 2011: TOP 5 Women
WOMEN’s TOP 5
Wozniacki might be the top-ranked in the WTA but to her credit she is yet to win a grand slam title. She climbed to the top with a strong start to the season but as the year progressed, there was a visible dip in her confidence and form that led her to drop her father as coach.
The world number two comes in the tournament on the back of a defeat in the finals of Cincinnati Open. She has won 12 WTA titles in her career and her best US Open appearance was in 2010 when she reached the final losing to Kim Clijsters.
Maria Sharapova is the favorite among the top 5 seeded players to lift the title on the basis of her recent form. She comes into the tournament with a momentum after winning Cincinnati Open. She reached the finals of Wimbledon tournament this year and made her way back in the top 5 from being seeded 14th at Australian Open.
Azarenka has failed to win a single title this year and despite her top billing doesn’t evoke too much confidence of a decent show this year. Her best US Open outing came in 2007 when she reached the fourth round but during the second round in 2010, she collapsed on court and was taken to hospital due to concussion.
Kvitova is having an excellent run this year that has seen her rise to carrer best sixth in the WTA rankings but the best came moment came when she won her maiden Grand Slam Title clinching Wimbledon by defeating Maria Sharapova in the finals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why