Venus Williams survives scare in Brazil Cup
Florianpolis (Brazil): Former World No. 1 Venus Williams advanced to the quarterfinals of the WTA Brazil Tennis Cup with a hard-fought 6-4, 2-6, 7-5 victory over Spain`s Garbine Muguruza.
The 96th-ranked Muguruza survived three match points before succumbing to the seven-time grand slam winner after two hours and 12 minutes, Xinhua reports.
Williams, currently ranked No. 20, will meet Slovakia`s Magdalena Rybarikova after the world No. 52 overcame Spain`s Beatriz Garcia Vidagany 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.
In other second-round matches involving seeded players Wednesday, Timea Babos upset Channelle Scheepers 6-1, 6-2 and Kristina Mladenovic eliminated Tatjana Malek 6-2, 6-1.
Melinda Czink beat Beatriz Haddad 1-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3), Olga Puchkova overcame Caroline Garcia 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 and Monica Niculescuh swept aside Tereza Mrdeza 6-1, 6-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi
- Subramanian Swamy speaks about AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi- Part II
- ED summons former Air Chief Marshal S.P. Tyagi
- DNA: When will Muslim women get freedom from triple divorce?
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Sharad Pawar endorses Nitish Kumar as face of united oppn, Congress stays mum
- Indian Mathematician mimics viruses to design smallest self-assembling structures
- TN polls: DMK promises metro rail service for Coimbatore
- Netaji files declassification: Morarji had declined to accept inquiry commissions report
- OMG! 25,000 women died due to dowry in last two years, says govt