Venus Williams survives scare in Brazil Cup
Florianpolis (Brazil): Former World No. 1 Venus Williams advanced to the quarterfinals of the WTA Brazil Tennis Cup with a hard-fought 6-4, 2-6, 7-5 victory over Spain`s Garbine Muguruza.
The 96th-ranked Muguruza survived three match points before succumbing to the seven-time grand slam winner after two hours and 12 minutes, Xinhua reports.
Williams, currently ranked No. 20, will meet Slovakia`s Magdalena Rybarikova after the world No. 52 overcame Spain`s Beatriz Garcia Vidagany 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.
In other second-round matches involving seeded players Wednesday, Timea Babos upset Channelle Scheepers 6-1, 6-2 and Kristina Mladenovic eliminated Tatjana Malek 6-2, 6-1.
Melinda Czink beat Beatriz Haddad 1-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3), Olga Puchkova overcame Caroline Garcia 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 and Monica Niculescuh swept aside Tereza Mrdeza 6-1, 6-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon