Venus Williams survives scare in Brazil Cup
Florianpolis (Brazil): Former World No. 1 Venus Williams advanced to the quarterfinals of the WTA Brazil Tennis Cup with a hard-fought 6-4, 2-6, 7-5 victory over Spain`s Garbine Muguruza.
The 96th-ranked Muguruza survived three match points before succumbing to the seven-time grand slam winner after two hours and 12 minutes, Xinhua reports.
Williams, currently ranked No. 20, will meet Slovakia`s Magdalena Rybarikova after the world No. 52 overcame Spain`s Beatriz Garcia Vidagany 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.
In other second-round matches involving seeded players Wednesday, Timea Babos upset Channelle Scheepers 6-1, 6-2 and Kristina Mladenovic eliminated Tatjana Malek 6-2, 6-1.
Melinda Czink beat Beatriz Haddad 1-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3), Olga Puchkova overcame Caroline Garcia 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 and Monica Niculescuh swept aside Tereza Mrdeza 6-1, 6-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured