Venus Williams survives scare in Brazil Cup
Florianpolis (Brazil): Former World No. 1 Venus Williams advanced to the quarterfinals of the WTA Brazil Tennis Cup with a hard-fought 6-4, 2-6, 7-5 victory over Spain`s Garbine Muguruza.
The 96th-ranked Muguruza survived three match points before succumbing to the seven-time grand slam winner after two hours and 12 minutes, Xinhua reports.
Williams, currently ranked No. 20, will meet Slovakia`s Magdalena Rybarikova after the world No. 52 overcame Spain`s Beatriz Garcia Vidagany 6-4, 3-6, 6-4.
In other second-round matches involving seeded players Wednesday, Timea Babos upset Channelle Scheepers 6-1, 6-2 and Kristina Mladenovic eliminated Tatjana Malek 6-2, 6-1.
Melinda Czink beat Beatriz Haddad 1-6, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3), Olga Puchkova overcame Caroline Garcia 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 and Monica Niculescuh swept aside Tereza Mrdeza 6-1, 6-1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan