Injured Keys pulls out of Wimbledon 2014
Madison Keys of the United States was forced to concede her Wimbledon third round match against Yaroslava Shvedova on Monday after failing to recover from a left thigh injury.
The 19-year-old suffered the injury in the latter stages of Saturday`s tie which was suspended due to darkness.
She was trailing 7-6 (9/7), 6-6 when play was halted having received on-court treatment for the injury.
Despite having Sunday to try and recover, Keys, who had won the Eastbourne warm-up event on the eve of Wimbledon, was unable to take her place on Court 12 for Monday`s resumption.
Shvedova, the world number 65 from Kazakhstan, goes on to face either Germany`s Sabine Lisicki, the runner-up in 2013, or Serbia`s Ana Ivanovic for a place in the quarter-finals.
Lisicki was leading their third round tie 6-4, 1-1 when their encounter was also halted late Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble