Nadal not ready to turn back on Wimbledon despite third successive flop
Johannesburg: World No. 1 Rafael Nadal is reportedly not ready to turn his back on Wimbledon despite a third successive flop at the tournament as he lost to 19-year-old Nick Kyrgios in a four-set pre-quarter-final round.
Nadal, who holds a record nine French Open titles and a staggering match record of 66 wins to just one defeat at the Roland Garros, is reportedly enduring diminishing returns at the All England Club .
Nadal, who was champion in 2008 and 2010 and runner-up for a third time in 2011, was beaten in the second round in 2012, the first round last year and fell in the last-16 to Australian rookie Kyrgios on Tuesday losing 6-7 (5/7), 7-5, 6-7 (5-7), 3-6 at Wimbledon, Sport24 reported.
Nadal`s record at the tournament now stands at 39 wins and eight losses while he has a similar 41-8 at both the US Open and Australian Opens.
Despite the early exit, Nadal remains confident that he can bad another title at Wimbledon, saying that he tried his best against Kyrgios, as he always does when his physical performance gives him the chance to try his best.
Nadal said that the last two years he did not have that chance to try his best because his knee was not right to compete, but this year, he added, he felt that the knee was right to compete.
Nadal also said that he competed and thinks that he competed well, adding that it was not enough, but that`s sport and life continues.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know