Yuki Bhambri loses in Australian Open play-off semis
Shenzhen: Yuki Bhambri created enough chances for himself but failed to cash in on as he bowed out of the Australian Open wild card play-off tournament following a semifinal defeat, here on Saturday.
Second seed Yuki, who was hoping to win a wild card for the first Grand Slam of the season by winning the tournament, lost 6-7 (6), 4-6 to third seed Chinese Di Wu in one hour and 29 minutes at Luohu Tennis Club.
After trading breaks early, the first set was back on serve by the eighth game. Yuki broke Wu at love in the ninth but failed to serve out the set as he was broken at love.
Both the players continued to struggle with their serve in the tie-breaker as well. It was Yuki who had two set points when he was up 6-4 but he squandered both and went on to lose the set.
The second set was on serve till the sixth game. Facing three break chances, Yuki saved two but could not prevent Wu from converting third to trail 3-4.
Wu consolidated the lead to 5-3 in the next game and served out set in the 10th game.
Yuki still has a chance to win doubles wild card if he wins the final with Kiwi partner Michael Venus.
The second seed Ind-Kiwi pair is up against fourth seed Chinese Combo of Mao-Xin Gong and Zhe Li.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt