The flood situation in Assam turned grim over the past 24 hours due to incessant rains with over 65,000 people being affected in 125 villages across the state.
In a bid to strengthen the party and improve its poll prospects, BJP president Amit Shah has made some fresh appointments, with Union Minister Dharmendra Pradhan and general secretary Ram Madhav as election in-charges for Assam elections due in June 2016.
Four improvised explosive devices (IED), suspected to belong to the ULFA-Independent, were recovered from a night passenger bus in Tinsukia district, a police official said on Saturday.
The NIA has filed a chargesheet in a special court here against 10 NDFB (Songbijit) militants who were allegedly involved in the killing of Adivasis in Assam's Kokrajhar district in December last year.
A NDFB(S) hideout at Chirang was busted and a cache of arms and ammunition has been recovered by a joint team of the Army and Assam Police.
The Supreme Court on Thursday took a strong note to the submission seeking adjournment of hearing in a 27-year-old lawsuit filed by Assam in its decades-long border dispute with Nagaland.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday said Prime Minister Narendra Modi's programme 'Digital India Week', was not a new concept and that former prime minister Rajiv Gandhi had started it.
The All Assam Media Employees Federation has appealed Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to enforce implementation of the Majithia Wage Board recommendations, enact a law for protection of journalists, pension and health schemes for scribes, besides inclusion of electronic media workers in the Minimum Wage Act.
Four NDFB(S) militants, including its self-styled commanding officer, were arrested and a arms and RDX explosives were recovered in Baksa district, police said on Wednesday.
Four NDFB(S) militants, including its self-styled commanding officer, were arrested and arms and RDX explosives were recovered in Baksa district, police said on Wednesday.
A major accident was averted in Assam's Gauripur district due to timely detection and inactivation of a bomb placed over a railway track here.
A fresh wave of flood hit the northern bank of Brahmaputra in Assam on Monday claiming lives of at least two persons and affecting over 5,500 people in 20 villages.
Journalists on Monday protested against the attacks on media personnel across the country and Assam in particular and demanded a separate law for their protection while carrying out their duties.
A top official of a state-run oil company has been found dead under mysterious circumstances with a vein on his wrist slit, at his official residence in Dibrugarh district of Assam.
An earthquake measure 5.6 on the Richter scale struck Assam on Sunday morning.
An earthquake of intensity measuring 5.6 on the Ritcher scale struck Assam on Sunday morning at around 6:35 am, leaving three injured.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Friday criticised Prime Minister Narendra Modi's "silence" on External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj and Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje's close ties with tainted former IPL boss Lalit Modi.
Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Thursday slammed the Centre for not including Assam in the list of proposed six new Indian Institutes of Management (IIMs), saying the NDA government is paying only "lip sympathy" to the state.
The flood situation in Assam on Thursday improved considerably with only around 3,500 people affected due to the waters in ten villages.
The transport department of the Assam government has decided to strictly enforce anti-tobacco laws on its public transport system, an official said.
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi has expressed serious concern over non-fulfillment of commitments made by post-graduate doctors prior to their admission in the state-run medical colleges of the state.
The flood situation in Assam has shown signs of improvement on Wednesday though nearly 22,000 people are still suffering due to the waters in over 25 villages across the state.
The Guwahati Police on Wednesday said it has formed a Special Investigation Team (SIT) under an ACP to probe the alleged rape and murder of a college girl in the city.
A multi-layer security ring has been thrown in and around the Kamakhya temple here after an intelligence input about militant groups operational in Assam and planning to sabotage the ongoing Ambubachi Mela was received, Guwahati police said on Wednesday.
Five militants, including two hardcore ULFA, were arrested in two different incidents in Assam Wednesday.
The Chairman of militant outfit Karbi National Liberation Army (KNLA) was apprehended on Wednesday by a joint team of police, Army and CRPF 20th battalion from Karbi Anglong hill district of Assam, a police official said.
Four inmates escaped from Diphu jail in Assam's Karbi Anglong district, prompting Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi to order a probe into the incident.
The Assam government on Tuesday decided to write to the Centre to take steps for inclusion of all persons whose names appeared on electoral rolls by virtue of 'being Indians' in the ongoing updation of Nation Register of Citizens (NRC).
Assam Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi on Tuesday said the state government was in favour of yoga, but not for making it compulsory in government schools and other educational institutions across the state.
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Top 10 news @7am
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Aapke Sitare, July 4: Astro prediction for Leo, Virgo, Libra and Scorpio
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Vijender Singh
- AIB: Polythene ban - Do we care enough?
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Jharkhand: Girl commits suicide after parents refuse to build toilet in home
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Kareena Kapoor already thinks 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' biggest hit: Salman Khan
- Log on to upsc.gov.in to check UPSC Civil Services Examination 2014 Results
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Right to die: Belgian doctors grant euthanasia to 24-year-old depressed woman
- Is `paleo-vegan hybrid` diet the answer to all our dietary issues?
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown