Congress president Sonia Gandhi today approved the appointment of office bearers in Gujarat Pradesh Congress Committee (GPCC) ahead of the local body polls in the state.
More than 1,500 people, including 500 people from the city, were evacuated to safer locations due to sudden floods in the Sabarmati river after water was released from the Dharoi dam, officials said here on Thursday.
Due to heavy rains in the catchment area and inflow of water from rivers in Madhya Pradesh the water level of Sardar Sarovar dam on Narmada river has reached 121.92 metres, a senior official said today.
More than 700 NDRF personnel, 3 helicopters and 30 boats have been deployed for rescue and relief operations in Gujarat and Rajasthan where incessant rains have claimed 22 lives.
Flood-like situation prevailed in parts of Gujarat due to incessant rains, with Banaskantha in the north emerging as the worst-affected district, where Army as well as NDRF teams and IAF helicopters have been roped in for relief and rescue operations.
Flash floods triggered by torrential monsoon rain have killed at least 26 people in a west Indian state in the past 48 hours, authorities said Wednesday.
Incessant rains caused by a deep depression lashed northern and Kutch regions of Gujarat, causing death of 22 persons in various rain-related incidents and throwing life out gear, officials said here on Tuesday.
The Gujarat High court on Tuesday began final hearing on appeals in the Naroda Patiya riot case, in which 97 people, mostly from minority community, were killed in 2002.
The Gujarat High Court on Monday adjourned till August 4 hearing on a plea filed by 2002 riots victim Zakia Jafri against a lower court's clean chit to then Chief Minister Narendra Modi and 58 others in connection with a 2002 riots case.
Gujarat will witness heavy to very heavy rains in various places across the state during the next three days, said a warning issued by the Meteorological Centre here on Sunday.
Leaders of the Patel community on Sunday announced that they will organise public rallies in major districts of Gujarat to demand Other Backward Class (OBC) status and benefits of reservation under it in government jobs.
Police on Friday detained a Pakistani youth who was found in a mosque in Bhuj town of Kutch district of Gujarat.
Hussain Suleman Mohan, an accused in the 2002 Sabarmati Express train burning incident, was working as an auto driver when he was arrested from Jhabua in Madhya Pradesh by the Godhra Local Crime Branch (LCB).
The Gujarat government on Thursday upgraded the security of former judge Jyotsna Yagnik, who presided over Naroda-Patiya riot case trial, from 'Y' to 'Z' category.
Two accused in the 2002 Gulberg Society riot case on Thursday filed an application before the special trial court here, seeking to undergo narco-analysis and brain-mapping tests to prove their innocence.
The Gujarat High Court on Thursday dismissed a petition filed by the father of a 14-year-old rape victim seeking permission for termination of her pregnancy.
Facing closure notice, activist Teesta Setalvad's two NGOs - Citizens for Justice and Peace and Sabrang Trust - have conveyed to the Home Ministry that they have done no financial irregularities and no foreign contribution was misused by any of its office bearer.
Gujarat police has opposed in the Supreme Court the anticipatory bail plea of Teesta Setalvad, saying the social activist and her husband “misappropriated” funds meant for charity for personal expenses ranging from wine, earbuds to expensive mobile phone besides tampering with evidence.
Activists from Gujarat, including a former Gujarat chief minister, extended their support to Teesta Setalvad and her husband Javed Anand on Wednesday, alleging the recent CBI action against her was an "open misuse of power" by the Centre.
The Gujarat High Court has extended 2002 Naroda Patiya riot case convict Babu Bajrangi's bail period by ten days to enable him to undergo medical treatment.
Gujarat government on Wednesday announced plans to implement the Gujarat (Right of Citizens to Public Services) Act 2013, which gives every citizen the right to time-bound delivery of public services.
Self-styled godman Asaram's son Narayan Sai, an accused in a rape case, approached the Gujarat High Court seeking interim bail for a day to attend Guru Purnima festival on July 31.
The Gujarat government on Wednesday announced that it was going to bring an ordinance to make voting compulsory for elected representatives of local bodies.
Gujarat government on Wednesday moved the Supreme Court seeking cancellation of interim bail to social activists Teesta Setalvad and her husband Javed Anand.
Former judge Jyotsna Yagnik, who pronounced the verdict in the 2002 Naroda Patiya riots case, convicting 31 persons for killing 97 members of minority community, on Wednesday accused the Gujarat government of turning a deaf ear to her request to enhance her security.
Authorities on Tuesday conducted a raid on an illegal sand mining unit operating near Don Bosco School area here and seized 10 tractors carrying illegal sand from the site.
The Supreme Court Tuesday adjourned the hearing on the anticipatory bail plea of activist Teesta Setalvad and her husband Javed Anand till July 24 in connection with the case against her firm for allegedly receiving foreign donations in violation of the Foreign Contribution Regulation Act (FCRA).
A Pakistani national was held by Border Security Force at border in Kutch district, a BSF official said here on Monday.
Four persons were on Monday briefly detained by Kheda district police for allegedly trying to go near the stationary helicopter of Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel for taking 'a selfie' on mobile phone.
The Gujarat High Court on Monday rejected the bail plea of Vismay Shah, awarded a five-year jail term by a lower court in a 2013 BMW hit-and-run case, even as his lawyer cited the case of superstar Salman Khan who was given the relief in a similar incident in Mumbai.
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- Special: 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's case history
- DNA: A shattered Rameswaram waits to pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- SC rejects Yakub Memon's plea against death warrant
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- Three-storey building collapses in Thane, six dead
- President Pranab Mukherjee rejects Yakub Memon's mercy plea
- Heavy rains trigger floods, landslides in Gujarat and Rajasthan
- Dirty politics over a terrorist's execution; will this ever end?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @7:30 pm
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report
- APJ Abdul Kalam was just an ordinary scientist: Pakistan's AQ Khan
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed
- Serena Williams, Sania Mirza top WTA rankings
- Yakub Memon lawyer says 'no comments' when asked about Supreme Court's order
- ISIS preparing to attack India, readying for 'final battle': Report
- Mysterious white balls seen flying over Japan- Watch
- Salman Khan backs Ranbir Kapoor over 'flops'?
- Delhi HC issues show cause notice to ACB Chief MK Meena on AAP govt's contempt plea
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh