Hardik Patel, leader of the Patel quota agitation in Gujarat, will start meeting MLAs of his community from Friday to know their stand on the reservation issue.
In a sort of climbdown, the Patel quota agitation spearhead Hardik Patel Thursday said the proposed "reverse" Dandi march from Dandi to Sabarmati Ashram will take off only after government grants permission for the programme.
The Gujarat government has entrusted the CID with the probe into alleged "atrocities" committed by police while tackling the Patel quota stir and declared compensation to those killed and injured in the violence last week.
Hardik Patel, leader of the Patel quota agitation in Gujarat, Thursday said he will start meeting MLAs of his community from tomorrow to know their stand on the reservation issue, which sparked violence across the state claiming ten lives last week.
A close aide of quota agitation leader Hardik Patel has been accused of duping a cotton trader and a ginning mill owner from Gujarat to the tune of over Rs 1 crore, police said on Wednesday.
VHP chief Pravin Togadia on Wednesday rejected media reports suggesting he was close to Hardik Patel and others linked to the ongoing quota stir in Gujarat and threatened legal action against those behind the reports.
A state-run Chinese newspaper has used the opportunity of recent violence during the Patels' reservation agitation in Gujarat to question the "Gujarat model" of development.
The Gujarat High Court on Wednesday issued notices to the state government and a complainant on a plea by social activist Teesta Setalvad seeking quashing of an FIR in a case in which she is accused of putting objectionable pictures of Hindu deities on a popular social networking site.
Police on Tuesday lifted the ban they had imposed on mobile internet, social media and SMS services in the wake of violence during the Patel stir in various parts of the State last week.
Gujarat Congress on Tuesday demanded setting up of an inquiry commission, comprising a sitting High Court judge, to probe the "atrocities committed by police" on members of Patel community during their protest for reservation last week.
Hardik Patel, who has hit the headlines lately for spearheading the Patel quota movement, said on Tuesday that he will organise a 'reverse' Dandi march from Dandi to Ahmedabad later this week.
The Gujarat High Court on Tuesday dismissed a public interest litigation which had demanded that the state government must collect caste data before any decision about granting reservation to the Patel community is taken.
While Zee Media cannot verify the authenticity of this video posted by Khojinarad on YouTube.
India's reservation system is under attack because its rapid economic growth has not resulted an increase in private-sector jobs, a noted expert has said.
After creating nationwide sensation with a rally last week, the Patel community has decided to launch a fresh round of agitation for reservation from Tuesday amid claims of support from various other sections of the society.
Ahmedabad, Aug 31 (PTI) A court here today granted permission to former IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt to travel to the United Kingdom for 30 days.
The Congress on Monday said the issues raised by Hardik Patel was an "implosion" of the "Gujarat model" of development pursued by Narendra Modi which was not inclusive in nature.
The Gujarat High Court on Monday disposed of a petition filed in the case of alleged custodial death of a 32-year-old man of Patel community during the reservation stir, saying there was no need for the court to monitor the case when CID has taken over probe into it.
The agitation for quotas for Patels in government jobs and educational institutions will be expanded to other states and include castes like Kurmis and Gujjars, Hardik Patel, who led the stir that plunged Gujarat into violence said on Sunday.
A 55-year-old woman was allegedly killed by her two nephews, who suspected that she practised witchcraft, at a village in neighbouring Chhota Udaipur district, police said on Sunday.
Amid tight security, the funeral of a 32-year-old man from Patel community, who allegedly died in custody after being caught by police during the quota violence, was held here on Sunday.
Patel agitation leader Hardik Patel should behave like Shiv Sena icon Bal Thackeray if he really considers the latter to be his role model, Sena president Uddhav Thackeray said here on Saturday.
After the Gujarat High ordered a CID probe, nine policemen including two inspectors and a sub-inspector have been booked for the alleged custodial death of a 32-year-old man detained during Patel quota agitation.
Normalcy is gradually returning to Gujarat where authorities on Saturday lifted curfew from all affected parts of the state as no major incident of violence was reported for two days after the Patel quota agitation turned violent early this week.
Hardik Patel, the man who led mass agitation in Gujarat demanding quotas for the Patel community, is smitten by none other than Raj Thackeray.
The CPI on Friday said the remarks made by Patel leaders that their community be given OBC status or quotas offered to others be cancelled, attacks the principle of reservation and can lead to war between castes.
Hardik Patel, who has galvanised the dominant Patel community in Gujarat on the reservation demand, says his sole objective is the inclusion of Patel community in the OBC category and not the abolition of the quota system but ruled out negotiations on the issue.
The Gujarat High Court on Friday ordered a CID probe in a case of custodial death of a 32-year- old man of Patel community during quota violence after the second post-mortem report stated that he had died due to severe head injury.
The mass appeal of Hardik Patel in Gujarat "does not augur well for the BJP", the Shiv Sena said on Friday, calling him "a hero" who had punctured claims that Gujarat was a peaceful state.
Tension eased across Gujarat as no incident of violence, sparked by Patel community's quota agitation, was reported overnight, while curfew was on Friday lifted in three out of the nine areas of Ahmedabad even as Army continued flag march in some sensitive areas.
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Fresh FIR against Radhe Maa on complaint by Dolly Bindra
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- 10 trade unions observe nationwide strike
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- India's ceasefire violations threat to regional peace and security: Nawaz Sharif
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Sheena murder case: Indrani and Peter Mukerjea questioned at Khar Police Station
- Top 10 news @7am
- Top 25 news @12 pm
- Sheena murder case: Peter Mukherjea to be questioned today
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- Trade union strike hits normal life in Delhi, West Bengal, Mumbai
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot
- When India came close to striking Pakistan's nuke sites
- Clear stand on Ram Temple: VHP during BJP-RSS coordination meet
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- OMG! Angelina Jolie's nude pictures go on sale
- Bang-bang time! MS Dhoni, Virender Sehwag, Shahid Afridi to play in charity match in London
- OMG! Excessive exposure to porn may make Indian women sex addicts
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone