A close aide of quota agitation leader Hardik Patel has been accused of duping a cotton trader and a ginning mill owner from Gujarat to the tune of over Rs 1 crore, police said on Wednesday.
VHP chief Pravin Togadia on Wednesday rejected media reports suggesting he was close to Hardik Patel and others linked to the ongoing quota stir in Gujarat and threatened legal action against those behind the reports.
A state-run Chinese newspaper has used the opportunity of recent violence during the Patels' reservation agitation in Gujarat to question the "Gujarat model" of development.
The Gujarat High Court on Wednesday issued notices to the state government and a complainant on a plea by social activist Teesta Setalvad seeking quashing of an FIR in a case in which she is accused of putting objectionable pictures of Hindu deities on a popular social networking site.
Police on Tuesday lifted the ban they had imposed on mobile internet, social media and SMS services in the wake of violence during the Patel stir in various parts of the State last week.
Gujarat Congress on Tuesday demanded setting up of an inquiry commission, comprising a sitting High Court judge, to probe the "atrocities committed by police" on members of Patel community during their protest for reservation last week.
Hardik Patel, who has hit the headlines lately for spearheading the Patel quota movement, said on Tuesday that he will organise a 'reverse' Dandi march from Dandi to Ahmedabad later this week.
The Gujarat High Court on Tuesday dismissed a public interest litigation which had demanded that the state government must collect caste data before any decision about granting reservation to the Patel community is taken.
While Zee Media cannot verify the authenticity of this video posted by Khojinarad on YouTube.
India's reservation system is under attack because its rapid economic growth has not resulted an increase in private-sector jobs, a noted expert has said.
After creating nationwide sensation with a rally last week, the Patel community has decided to launch a fresh round of agitation for reservation from Tuesday amid claims of support from various other sections of the society.
Ahmedabad, Aug 31 (PTI) A court here today granted permission to former IPS officer Sanjiv Bhatt to travel to the United Kingdom for 30 days.
The Congress on Monday said the issues raised by Hardik Patel was an "implosion" of the "Gujarat model" of development pursued by Narendra Modi which was not inclusive in nature.
The Gujarat High Court on Monday disposed of a petition filed in the case of alleged custodial death of a 32-year-old man of Patel community during the reservation stir, saying there was no need for the court to monitor the case when CID has taken over probe into it.
The agitation for quotas for Patels in government jobs and educational institutions will be expanded to other states and include castes like Kurmis and Gujjars, Hardik Patel, who led the stir that plunged Gujarat into violence said on Sunday.
A 55-year-old woman was allegedly killed by her two nephews, who suspected that she practised witchcraft, at a village in neighbouring Chhota Udaipur district, police said on Sunday.
Amid tight security, the funeral of a 32-year-old man from Patel community, who allegedly died in custody after being caught by police during the quota violence, was held here on Sunday.
Patel agitation leader Hardik Patel should behave like Shiv Sena icon Bal Thackeray if he really considers the latter to be his role model, Sena president Uddhav Thackeray said here on Saturday.
After the Gujarat High ordered a CID probe, nine policemen including two inspectors and a sub-inspector have been booked for the alleged custodial death of a 32-year-old man detained during Patel quota agitation.
Normalcy is gradually returning to Gujarat where authorities on Saturday lifted curfew from all affected parts of the state as no major incident of violence was reported for two days after the Patel quota agitation turned violent early this week.
Hardik Patel, the man who led mass agitation in Gujarat demanding quotas for the Patel community, is smitten by none other than Raj Thackeray.
The CPI on Friday said the remarks made by Patel leaders that their community be given OBC status or quotas offered to others be cancelled, attacks the principle of reservation and can lead to war between castes.
Hardik Patel, who has galvanised the dominant Patel community in Gujarat on the reservation demand, says his sole objective is the inclusion of Patel community in the OBC category and not the abolition of the quota system but ruled out negotiations on the issue.
The Gujarat High Court on Friday ordered a CID probe in a case of custodial death of a 32-year- old man of Patel community during quota violence after the second post-mortem report stated that he had died due to severe head injury.
The mass appeal of Hardik Patel in Gujarat "does not augur well for the BJP", the Shiv Sena said on Friday, calling him "a hero" who had punctured claims that Gujarat was a peaceful state.
Tension eased across Gujarat as no incident of violence, sparked by Patel community's quota agitation, was reported overnight, while curfew was on Friday lifted in three out of the nine areas of Ahmedabad even as Army continued flag march in some sensitive areas.
Hardik Patel, the leader of the Patel agitation for OBC quota in Gujarat, was poor in academics, said a report on Friday.
In view of agitation and violence in Gujarat, 19453 Gandhidham-Puri Express scheduled to leave Gandhidham and 12844 Ahmedabad-Puri Express scheduled to leave Ahmedabad, have been cancelled from Gandhidham and Ahmedabad respectively.
A local court will conduct an inquiry into police crackdown and alleged atrocities on supporters of Patel quota agitation leader Hardik Patel here on August 25 which left ten people dead.
All the Congress MLAs in the Gujarat Assembly barring Opposition Leader Shankarsinh Vaghela were suspended for a day today as the house witnessed ruckus over the OBC quota agitation by Patels.
- If Bihar marches forward, then nation will also progress: PM Modi
- Watch: CCTV footage of open firing on a liquor shop in Jabalpur
- DNA: Manipur in boil, but where is the media!
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @12:00 pm
- Fresh FIR against Radhe Maa on complaint by Dolly Bindra
- LPG cylinders without subsidy now Rs. 25.50 less in Delhi
- Delhi: Auto, taxi unions go off roads on September 2
- Auto-taxi strike in Delhi on Wednesday against govt's new taxi services
- 10 trade unions observe nationwide strike
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Is the country really discriminating against Muslim population? - Part II
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Breaking: Watch the latest Bollywood news!
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Nitish Kumar responds to Narendra Modi's Parivartan rally
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Dinesh Karthik sues automobile designer Dilip Chhabria: Report
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?
- 3rd Test: Virat Kohli & Co end 22-year drought in Sri Lanka, seal series 2-1
- Rafiabad encounter ends with one terrorist dead; an Army jawan also martyred
- AAP MLA Pankaj Pushkar protests against Delhi Govt
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Ind vs SL, 3rd Test: Ferocious Ishant Sharma enters 200-wicket club
- When India came close to striking Pakistan's nuke sites
- Sidharth, Katrina's movie gets new title!