Prime Minister Narendra Modi is believed to be concerned over prolonged closure of educational institutions in Kashmir due to separatist-sponsored strike and wants their early reopening for which the Centre is understood to have asked the state police to prepare an action plan for providing security to schools.
Jammu And Kashmir News
Alleging Pakistan for "destabilising" Jammu and Kashmir, Deputy Chief Minister Nirmal Singh on Thursday said the neighbouring country is a "failed state" and time would come when it will "cease to exist on the world map".
An army jawan, posted at the Srinagar headquarter of the force, allegedly committed suicide on Thursday by shooting himself with his service rifle, police said.
BSF on Thursday said it had killed a Pakistani paramilitary jawan and wounded another.
Ceasefire violations by Pakistan were reported in Tangdhar sector, Medhar and Poonch in Jammu and Kashmir on Thursday.
A primary school building and two vehicles were set ablaze by some persons in Kashmir in separate incidents of arson over the past 24 hours, police said here on Thursday.
Summer capital Srinagar witnessed significant improvement in public transport on Thursday even as normal life elsewhere in the Valley remained affected due to the strike called by separatists.
Shelling and firing exchanges took place in Korotana Kurd, Bidipur, Jattan, Abdullian, Chandu Chak, Shamka and Hansu Chak areas.
Speaking on the occasion, National Spokesperson, APMCC, King Bharati warned the BJP-PDP government of "dire consequences" if it continues its "discriminatory attitude" towards Kashmiri pandit community.
Even as increasing number of people are defying their strike call, separatists today extended their ongoing shutdown agitation till November 3.
A BSF officer was injured as Pakistani Rangers pounded civilian areas and Indian paramilitary posts in two sectors of the International Border in Jammu and Kashmir since last night, prompting authorities to order closure of schools and advise people to shift to safer places.
In a major success, Jammu and Kashmir Police on Wednesday busted a militant hideout in Rajouri district of the state.
Four persons, including two members of a militant organisation who visited Pakistan recently and received funds to fuel unrest in the Kashmir Valley, have been arrested, the state police said on Wednesday.
A Border Security Force (BSF) officer was injured after Pakistani forces violated ceasefire along the international border in RS Pura and Arnia sub sectors of Jammu.
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti on Tuesday called for immediate de-escalation of the situation along the border in the state so that miseries of the people in border villages could end.
Separatist leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani on Tuesday said he told BJP leader Yashwant Sinha that the government should release all separatist leaders and others arrested during an ongoing unrest as a precursor to beginning negotiations on how to solve the Kashmir issue.
Distancing itself from the delegation led by senior party leader Yashwant Sinha that met separatist leaders in Kashmir on Tuesday, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) said it was Sinha's personal initiative and the party had nothing to do with it.
"From 10 AM, Pakistan Army resorted to unprovoked ceasefire violation along the Line of Control in Noushera sector of Rajouri district by targeting our positions with mortar bombs and small arms fire," an army officer said.
Seven women civilians were injured on Tuesday in heavy shelling of Border Security Force (BSF) and civilian targets along the international border in RS Pura Sector of Jammu district by Pakistan Rangers, police said.
Three armed men today looted a bank on gunpoint in Kulgam district of Kashmir, police said.
Masked gunmen robbed Rs 2 lakh from a branch of the Jammu and Kashmir Bank in the southern district of Shopian on Tuesday.
Senior BJP leader and former finance minister Yashwant Sinha said he came to Jammu and Kashmir for humanity.
Pakistani troops on Tuesday violated a 2003 ceasefire in Jammu and Kashmir`s Rajouri district using automatics and small arms to target Indian positions.
Three school buildings were set ablaze by unknown persons in Kashmir over the past 24 hours, setting alarm bells ringing among authorities who have decided to step up security around educational institutions.
Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, continued to witness increased movement of traffic as more people today defied the strike call given by separatists.
The Jammu and Kashmir Police recovered a huge cache of arms and ammunition including 26 kg of explosive devices during a search operation in the Rajouri district on Monday.
Independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid was today detained along with several of his supporters after he tried to stage a demonstration outside Civil Secretariat, the seat of Jammu and Kashmir government against the termination of 12 government employees last week.
A militant was killed in an encounter with security forces in Kupwara district of Kashmir today.
There have been over 40 incidents of ceasefire violations by Pakistani troops since India carried out surgical strikes in PoK after the Uri terror attack.
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- Ceasefire violation: 3 Pak soldiers killed in Indian retaliatory firing
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism - Part II
- Bangalore: Residents protest against proposed steel flyover project
- Battle for Mosul: Iraqi forces making advance ISIL stronghold!
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware of adulterated sweets during Diwali!
- Jammu: Pakistan violates ceasefire yet again in RS Pura sector
- UP: AMU professor dies after 6 hour wait for ambulance
- Two powerful earthquakes hit Italy, tremors felt in Rome
- DNA: Delayed ambulance service causes loss of professor's life in Aligarh
- DNA: Today in History | October 26, 2016
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh
- Pinched by goods boycott-call, China warns India of impact on investments from its enterprises
- Haryana's BJP government invites Arvind Kejriwal to golden jubilee celebrations; PM Narendra Modi will be chief guest
- Home Ministry moves against Zakir Naik, calls IRF 'unlawful association', action soon
- Whole stadium erupts as local boy MS Dhoni steps on to Ranchi field against New Zealand – WATCH
- 'I will shoot Arvind Kejriwal' - Man calls up Delhi Police Control Room, threatens to kill Delhi CM
- Kangana Ranaut takes a dig at Hrithik Roshan, Priyanka Chopra!
- Fake currency notes: RBI asks people to accept Rs 500/1,000 notes only after careful scrutiny
- Misbah-ul-Haq sends England wicket-keeper and slip fielder wrong way with fake shot – Watch