North Eastern states have the potential to be 'litigation free' states in the country as it is an area where people settle disputes in the traditional way of mediation, Supreme Court judge Madan B Lokur said on Saturday.
North East News
The attack, as per the investigations by the NIA, was carried out mainly by 15 cadres of Kanglei Yawol Kanna Lup (KYKL) using 'Lathod guns' and grenades.
Lal Thanzara, who was elected in the by-election to Aizawl North-III assembly recently, was on Friday sworn-in at a simple programme.
Two persons including a schoolteacher, riding a motorcycle, were shot dead by the Army in Meghalaya's North Garo Hills district, an incident which the Army said took place because it mistook them as armed militants.
His family members said his body will be taken to Nagaland after the postmortem examination.
A veteran legislator, he was first elected to the state Assembly in 1969 from Yisemyong.
BJP opened its account in Manipur Assembly by winning the bypoll in two constituencies of Thangmeiband and Thongju on Tuesday.
As per reports, a chopper belonging to the state's disaster management team crash landed on Tuesday.
Opposition HSPDP on Tuesday retained the Nongstoin Assembly seat in Meghalaya defeating ruling Congress candidate by a margin of over 2,700 votes in the November 21 bypoll.
Former Mizoram health minister Lal Thanzara of Congress was on Tuesday declared elected in the bypoll to Aizawl North-III Assembly seat.
The Nagaland Board of School Education (NBSE) has postponed and rescheduled Class-IX final examination in the state.
Altogether 54,751 voters are eligible to decide the fate of six candidates in the by-elections for which polling started from 7 AM and will end at 4 PM.
The preparations for the by-election to Aizawl North-III assembly seat to be held tomorrow has been completed as all polling parties reached their respective polling stations today, Mizoram Election department officials said.
The media houses are free to publish any article about the NSCN(K) organisation which would add to the peace process, Assam Rifles said.
NSCN(K) cadre Peirai Hao is suspected to be the kingpin of the arms supplying gang.
Union Minister of State Prakash Javadekar on Tuesday said a "special cell" would soon be set up to ensure forest and environment are protected while sustainable development also takes place in eight north-eastern states.
The Nagaland Press Association (NPA), a conglomerate of journalists and non-journalists, also extended support to the editors in their protest against the para-military force.
The Centre on Monday declared the NSCN -K and all its formations and front organizations as a terrorist organization under the UAPA act.
In a surprise move, the BJP's Tripura unit has requested the main opposition Congress to form an electoral alliance to fight the ruling Left Front in the state's December 9 civic polls.
Manipur celebrated 'Ningol Chakkouba' today, a beautiful occasion when brothers invite married sisters for a grand feast during lunch time at their ancestral home in every household of the Meitei community.
Union Minister of State for Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju today said security upgradation in the North East region is very significant as the area is attached to the international border.
The Centre will soon file a Special Leave Petition (SLP) in the Supreme Court challenging a Meghalaya High Court order directing it to enforce AFSPA in Garo hills.
The arrested were mostly youth and students, including three girl students of reputed engineering and medical institutes.
Thirty-four people, including 20 students - mostly young boys and girls - were arrested as police busted a major sex racket in Tripura, police said here on Monday.
A suspected Jamaat-ul Mujahideen Bangladesh terrorist was on Thursday arrested from Tripura's Sipahijala district.
Mizoram Anti Corruption Bureau has launched investigation against Former Mizoram health minister and Chief minister Lal Thanhawla's younger brother, Lal Thanzara, opposition Mizo National Front (MNF) legal board chairman J Lalremruata Hmar said on Thursday.
Assam CM Tarun Gogoi favours a realignment of political forces, including the AIUDF, to fight the BJP on a single platform.
Two mutilated bodies were found at the the site of a powerful bomb explosion near the residence of an MLA in Manipur's Thoubal district.
The Meghalaya High Court has asked the Centre to consider enforcing Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act, 1958 (AFSPA) in militancy-hit Garo Hills region in the state to help the administration restore the rule of law.
A Meghalaya government official, abducted by militant outfit Garo National Liberation Army (GNLA), was released unharmed after seven days early Tuesday, police said.
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- Watch: Amateur footage of a boy falling from Mumbai local train
- ISI agent arrested by STF in Uttar Pradesh
- Prashant Bhushan ridicules Arvind Kejriwal's Janlokpal
- DNA: Difference between 1975 emergency in India and 2015 emergency in France
- DNA: Analysis of Constitution Day Debate in Parliament
- Syed Ahmed Bukhari takes a jibe at Azam Khan
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- Is Arvind Kejriwal deceiving people by diluting the clauses of Jan Lokpal?
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- A good beginning: Govt on meet between PM Modi, Sonia over GST Bill
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler
- Sunny Leone's 'Baby Doll' in 'Mastizaade'?
- See inside: Gorgeous Kajol, Kareena, Alia on Vogue cover!
- No protest against Modi, he is our PM: Jamia's media co-ordinator on convocation row
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Muslim-majority countries 'hate' Islamic State, see it as threat to their community
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos – Players to watch out for
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy