Even 30 days after demonetisation of high-value bank notes, life in Manipur remains at a standstill as people continue to struggle to make ends meet following the acute cash crunch.
North East News
The United Naga Council has imposed an indefinite economic blockade on the Imphal-Dimapur (NH 2) and Imphal-Jiribam (NH 37) since Nov 1.
At least five personnel of Para Special Force deployed along the Manipur-Myanmar border sustained life threatening injuries when militants ambushed a patrol party at Sajik Tampak on Saturday.
Polling for the two scheduled caste reserved seats in Tripura took place on Saturday amidst tight security.
The post harvest festival was organized by Sajalong (Miji tribe) and Hrusso (Aka tribe) community students who are living in the capital city of India.
By-poll in two Tripura Assembly seats - Barjala and Khowai - began on a peaceful note amidst tight security.
A rail blockade called by tribal students hit railway services in parts of northeast India for the second day on Wednesday, snapping the crucial rail link of Tripura, Mizoram, Manipur and southern Assam with the rest of the country.
Assam, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Tripura, Nagaland, Arunachal Pradesh and Manipur are considered by seismologists as the sixth major earthquake-prone belt in the world.
Stating that a coalition government would take over at the Centre after the 2019 elections, TMC leader Mukul Roy on Sunday claimed Mamata Banerjee would become Prime Minister as his party would play a lead role in its formation.
The Centre today announced an investment of over Rs 5,000 crore to construct a 12-km-long elevated railway corridor inside Guwahati, contributing to the smart city project.
The United Naga Council had imposed a 48-hour strike in October-end since it was of the view that the Manipur government was planning to create two new districts.
Officials from Mizoram today identified 1,111 Brus as bona fide residents of Mizoram and cleared them for physical repatriation from the Khakchangpara relief camp in North Tripura.
Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Pema Khandu today urged Union Minister of State for Railways Rajen Gohain for a train on the lines of Shatabdi Express between Guwahati and Naharlagun, which is near the state capital Itanagar.
Situated along the international border, Mechuka was one of the strategic locations during the Indo-China war in 1962.
Unidentified attackers on Saturday set off a medium-intensity Improvised Explosive Device (IED) at Gandhi Avenue, the main commercial hub of Imphal, police said.
Recently US Ambassador Richard Verma visited the annual Tawang Festival in Arunachal Pradesh.
Claiming that Kalikho Pul, who allegedly committed suicide, left "explosive secret notes", Arunachal Pradesh ex-Governor Jyoti Prasad Rajkhowa has sought a CBI inquiry into the former chief minister's death.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 1200 MW Teesta Stage III Hydro Electric Project in Sikkim, all 6 units of which are expected to be ready for commissioning by the end of this year.
Manipur Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh had several programmes lined up at Hunphung village and at Chingai village in Ukhrul district.
Though the blasts took place before Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh's visit, he is still going to visit the Ukhrul.
Three convicts, all serving life-imprisonment since 2012, escaped from the Central Jail in Tripura, police said on Saturday.
Irom Sharmila on Tuesday launched a new political party 'the Peoples Resurgence and Justice Alliance' (PRAJA) to contest assembly elections in Manipur due to be held early next year.
Two former Congress MLAs today joined BJP ahead of the upcoming state elections due in early 2017.
Congress has placed under suspension a legislator who rebelled against Chief Minister Mukul Sangma, following which five other members of the Khasi Hills Autonomous District Council tendered their resignations from the party.
The Bharatiya Janata Party is set to join the government led by Chief Minister Pema Khandu in Arunachal Pradesh on Friday.
A flash flood triggered by torrential rains on Monday night along Manipur-Myanmar border washed away a bridge and destroyed several houses, the police said on Tuesday.
Life in Manipur, known as the "Jewel of India", has often been disrupted by frequent strikes and shutdowns which have damaged the state`s economy and affected the livelihood of the common man.
Rights activist Irom Chanu Sharmila, who is also known as the 'Iron Lady' of Manipur, will float her political outfit later this month.
Isolating Pakistan for supporting terrorism is the great achievement of the Narendra Modi government, Union Human Resource Development minister Prakash Javadekar said on Monday.
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Demonetisation: Petrol pumps turn into cash counters
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Jayalalithaa death shock killed over 70, claims AIADMK
- DNA: Analyzing the decision-making process of Time's 'Person of the Year'
- 7-storey under-construction building collapses in Hyderabad
- DNA: What is the need of electoral reform in India ?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Disruption of Parliament not acceptable, for God's sake, do your job: President Pranab Mukherjee to MPs
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!
- Vodafone launches unlimited free voice calling offer for prepaid customers
- 'Mannargudi mafia' back in action? A common man can lead AIADMK, says Jayalalithaa's confidante Sasikala's husband
- SHOCKER: Bhuvneshwar Kumar floors umpire Paul Reiffel with 'wicketless' ball — WATCH
- Parliament: Opposition agrees to debate demonetisation without division of votes
- India vs England, 4th Test, Day 2 — As it happened...
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- US Congress to formally recognise India as major defence partner: Ashton Carter
- Actress Gautami troubled by unanswered questions on Jayalalithaa's death, seeks PM Narendra Modi's help
- Zaheer Khan describes Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech wedding in unusual style