Former president A.P.J. Abdul Kalam was laid to rest on Thursday here with full military honours in the presence of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and several other leaders who paid tributes to the man who strengthened India's missile programme and played a key role in country's 1998 nuclear test -- making him a national hero.
Madras High Court has issued notice to the Tamil Nadu government on a petition filed by the management of Women's Christian college, the first private women's college in the state, over the education department's refusal to approve appointment of 19 teaching staff.
At least 19 Tamil Red sander smugglers have been arrested by Kadapa Police, including a most wanted smuggler.
A 114-year-old woman, said to be the oldest member of the Toda community, passed away at Glenmorgan, near here on Thursday following an age-related illness.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday paid tribute to late former president A.P.J Abdul Kalam here.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Thursday paid tribute to late former president APJ Abdul Kalam here.
The mortal remains of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, who died on Monday, were taken from his ancestral house here to the local mosque ahead of the funeral as thousands of mourners -- young and old -- poured into the island town to pay their last respects.
Tamil Nadu government today ordered closure of all liquor outlets and bars tomorrow in the state in view of the funeral of former President APJ Abdul Kalam, as a 'mark of respect' to the departed soul.
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah will be attending the last rites of former President A P J Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram on Thursday.
Late former president APJ Abdul Kalam had envisioned a unique university in his hometown Ramanathapuram that would bring out entrepreneurs who would generate jobs.
A sea of humanity, especially school and college students, have thronged to catch a last glimpse of former president APJ Abdul Kalam before his last rites on Thursday.
A large number of people have gathered at former president APJ Abdul Kalam`s house at Rameswaram to pay their last respects, a relative said on Wednesday.
The mortal remains of late president Dr APJ Abdul Kalam will be flown to his native town Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu on Wednesday where last rites will take place on July 30.
The last rites of former President APJ Abdul Kalam would be held at his native place here on Wednesday with his body expected to arrive by noon, District Collector K Nandhakumar said.
AIADMK supremo and Chief Minister Jayalalaithaa Tuesday canceled all her party programmes for a week as a mark of respect and to facilitate homage for former President A P J Abdul Kalam, who passed away yesterday.
The mortal remains of late president APJ Abdul Kalam will be flown to his native town Rameswaram in Tamil Nadu on Wednesday where last rites will take place on July 30.
Though former president APJ Abdul Kalam was a rocket scientist, he was grounded to reality, DMK leader MK Stalin said on Tuesday.
A joint movement of six political parties including the CPI(M), CPI and MDMK on Monday urged the Centre not to hang 1993 Mumbai blast death row convict Yakub Memon.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Monday dropped Transport Minister V Senthil Balaji from her council of ministers, a Raj Bhavan statement issued here said.
The Supreme Court on Monday issued notice to Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J. Jayalalithaa on a petition by the Karnataka government challenging the state high court verdict acquitting her and three others in a disproportionate assets case.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday condoled the death of four persons killed in wild elephant attacks, and announced a total relief of Rs 12 lakh to their families.
An air passenger who arrived from Sharjah here on Saturday was arrested for allegedly attempting to smuggle Rs 40 lakh worth gold.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Saturday directed to increase the quantum of water released from Mettur Dam so that the farmers can joyfully celebrate 'Aadiperukku' festival on August 3.
Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (DMK) on Friday expressed concern over the continuation of strike at Neyveli Lignite Corporation and its possible impact on power generation in the state, and urged the Tamil Nadu government to hold talks to amicably settle the issue.
Senior Congress leader and former Union Minister P Chidambaram on Thursday hit out at the NDA regime for being "anti-people" and vowed his party would rise again under the leadership of Rahul Gandhi.
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Thursday paid tributes to Kamaraj and said that today the leaders of Tamil Nadu were not listening to the voices all the people.
Tamil Nadu government has sought Prime Minister Narendra Modi's intervention to end the strike by trade unions of Neyveli Lignite Corporation "at the earliest" in the interest of the industrial climate of the state and also in ensuring uninterrupted power supply.
Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi is expected to discuss farmers' issues, including the Land bill that has led to a raging debate between the NDA and Opposition, during his one-day visit to Tamil Nadu on Thursday.
Former CPI(M) General Secretary Prakash Karat on Wednesday said that the Centre has no other option but to withdraw the Land Acquisition Bill, as there were large scale protests against it across the board.
The Madras High Court on Wednesday directed the Tamil Nadu DGP "to ensure full, sufficient and proper protection" to Congress Vice President Rahul Gandhi at Tiruchirapalli on July 23 during his one-day state visit and disposed of a petition seeking provision of outer ring security by the state government to him.
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- Special: 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's case history
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- DNA: A shattered Rameswaram waits to pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- SC rejects Yakub Memon's plea against death warrant
- Three-storey building collapses in Thane, six dead
- President Pranab Mukherjee rejects Yakub Memon's mercy plea
- Heavy rains trigger floods, landslides in Gujarat and Rajasthan
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- Dirty politics over a terrorist's execution; will this ever end?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report
- APJ Abdul Kalam was just an ordinary scientist: Pakistan's AQ Khan
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- People storm to watch Salman Khan's 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' in Pakistan, leave hall teary-eyed
- Serena Williams, Sania Mirza top WTA rankings
- ISIS preparing to attack India, readying for 'final battle': Report
- Yakub Memon lawyer says 'no comments' when asked about Supreme Court's order
- Mysterious white balls seen flying over Japan- Watch
- Salman Khan backs Ranbir Kapoor over 'flops'?
- Yakub Memon wanted to meet his daughter before being hanged
- It's a canard that Kalam was reluctant to appoint Sonia Gandhi as PM: Manmohan Singh