The low pressure over Bay of Bengal will bring rains to Tamil Nadu and Puduchery on Sunday, the Regional Meteorological Center on Saturday said, warning of 'heavy to very heavy rains' for the two days.
A fresh spell of rain flooded most of the city and large parts of Tamil Nadu, leaving the residential areas still inundated and waterlogged.
Pro-Tamil outfits like Periyar Dravida Iyakkam and 'May 17 movement' celebrated Prabhakaran's birth anniversary in various parts of Chennai.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Thursday requested the central government team to complete its assessment of the damage caused by the floods in the state and submit its report at the earliest.
After an extended break imposed because of heavy rains in the state, all schools and colleges have reopened in Chennai.
Twenty Indian fishermen were arrested by Sri Lankan naval personnel on charges of allegedly violating the International Maritime Boundary Line Thursday morning.
Over 120 people lost their lives in Tamil Nadu in the last fortnight following floods caused by incessant rains.
The Madras High Court on Wednesday directed Tamil Nadu police to accord permission with conditions to an outfit to hold a public meeting in January in connection with the birth anniversary celebrations of 18th century Mysore ruler Tipu Sultan in Vellore district.
A team of central govt officials will visit Tamil Nadu to make first-hand assessment of the damage caused by floods on Thursday.
Four students of Class 11 at the Government Girls School in Tiruchengode in Tamil Nadu have been dismissed from school for consuming beer in their classroom, an education department official said on Tuesday.
The situation continues to remain grim in the Tamil Nadu capital and is unlikely to subside soon as the Northeast Monsoon has become vigorous.
The weather department has warned of isolated heavy rain over Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
Expressing concerns over floods causing damage to life and property, CPI's D Raja said the floods have led to "huge devastation and destruction" in TN.
The Centre is also sending a team to Tamil Nadu to assess the damage and "further action will be taken after the team submits its report," it said. The assistance was sanctioned in response to a request of the state government.
The Narendra Modi government on Monday sanctioned immediate release of Rs 939 crore to Tamil Nadu as flood relief assistance.
Sri Jayendra Saraswati, the head of the Kancheepuram Mutt in Tamil Nadu, on Monday described as "misrepresentation" the birth year of Adi Shankara as approved by the government.
The Supreme Court on Monday agreed to conduct day-to-day hearing on appeals filed against the Karnataka High Court judgement acquitting Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and three others in a disproportionate assets case.
With the North East Monsoon leaving a trail of destruction in Tamil Nadu, the state government on Monday pegged the damage at Rs 8,481 crore, with Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa urging Prime Minister Narendra Modi to immediately release Rs 2,000 crore to sustain relief work.
Months ahead of the Assembly elections, AIADMK General Secretary and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday reconstituted the party setup, retaining E Madhusudhanan and O Pannerselvam as Presidium Chairman and Treasurer respectively.
The toll in rain-related incidents since the onset of the north-east monsoon last month rose to 122 on Sunday with the death of a 27-year old man here in a building collapse, police said.
Heavy vehicles factory in Avadi (Tiruvallore) received 12 cm while Poondi and Ponnamanalle in the same district registered 10 cm each.
According to sources, the commissioning of the second unit is expected to happen at the end of 2016.
As per ANI, authorities have discharged surplus 5000 cusecs water from Chembarambakkam Lake.
TN Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa got the assurance from Home Minister Rajnath Singh when she apprised him of the flood damage in the state.
The accused were taken to a police station and put under arrest after questioning.
In Tamil Nadu, rain has stopped in most parts of the state.
The Lankan navy had earlier this month detained five Indian fishermen and seized a boat near Talaimannar in Tamil Nadu.
Madras High Court directed four advocates to tender an apology to a magistrate court.
Madras High Court deferred orders on pleas by DMK for a CBI probe into the collapse of a building at Moulivakkam.
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Actor Aamir Khan, family owe Rs 817.95 as land rent
- Watch: Amateur footage of a boy falling from Mumbai local train
- Amit Shah interacts with journalists at BJP office
- ISI agent arrested by STF in Uttar Pradesh
- PM Modi discusses GST bill with Manmohan, Sonia at 7 RCR
- DNA: Difference between 1975 emergency in India and 2015 emergency in France
- Prashant Bhushan ridicules Arvind Kejriwal's Janlokpal
- DNA: Analysis of Constitution Day Debate in Parliament
- Syed Ahmed Bukhari takes a jibe at Azam Khan
- PM Modi host 'Diwali Milan' for media
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview
- Pakistan vs England, 2nd T20: Live Streaming
- 'Get out!' Haryana Sports Minister Anil Vij tells woman IPS officer, she stays put
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan
- Why so much hullabaloo over Aamir's statement, asks Nagma
- A good beginning: Govt on meet between PM Modi, Sonia over GST Bill
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Here's what PM Narendra Modi said on 'intolerance' in Parliament
- India vs South Africa, 3rd Test: Statistical highlights on day three
- Bigg Boss, Day 47: Survival fight continues, inmates stumped by surprise exit!
- Day/Night Test: Cricketers mock DRS, Nigel Llong decision on Nathan Lyon howler