Hearing a Public Interest Litigation, Justices V Ramasubramanian and N Kirubakaran directed the Tuticorin Collector to file a report.
Sharp showers continued to lash many parts of the state, including Chennai, resulting in water-logging in many areas and forcing closure of schools in the city even as the weather office forecast more rains.
Heavy rains continue to lash Chennai on Monday forcing the authorities to order closure of schools and colleges.
Stating that eight fishermen had set out for fishing in two mechanised boats from Ramanathapuram and Pudukkottai districts, she said they were apprehended by the Sri Lankan Navy in the early hours of on Sunday.
The low pressure over Bay of Bengal will bring rains to Tamil Nadu and Puduchery on Sunday, the Regional Meteorological Center on Saturday said, warning of 'heavy to very heavy rains' for the two days.
A fresh spell of rain flooded most of the city and large parts of Tamil Nadu, leaving the residential areas still inundated and waterlogged.
Pro-Tamil outfits like Periyar Dravida Iyakkam and 'May 17 movement' celebrated Prabhakaran's birth anniversary in various parts of Chennai.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Thursday requested the central government team to complete its assessment of the damage caused by the floods in the state and submit its report at the earliest.
After an extended break imposed because of heavy rains in the state, all schools and colleges have reopened in Chennai.
Twenty Indian fishermen were arrested by Sri Lankan naval personnel on charges of allegedly violating the International Maritime Boundary Line Thursday morning.
Over 120 people lost their lives in Tamil Nadu in the last fortnight following floods caused by incessant rains.
The Madras High Court on Wednesday directed Tamil Nadu police to accord permission with conditions to an outfit to hold a public meeting in January in connection with the birth anniversary celebrations of 18th century Mysore ruler Tipu Sultan in Vellore district.
A team of central govt officials will visit Tamil Nadu to make first-hand assessment of the damage caused by floods on Thursday.
Four students of Class 11 at the Government Girls School in Tiruchengode in Tamil Nadu have been dismissed from school for consuming beer in their classroom, an education department official said on Tuesday.
The situation continues to remain grim in the Tamil Nadu capital and is unlikely to subside soon as the Northeast Monsoon has become vigorous.
The weather department has warned of isolated heavy rain over Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
Expressing concerns over floods causing damage to life and property, CPI's D Raja said the floods have led to "huge devastation and destruction" in TN.
The Centre is also sending a team to Tamil Nadu to assess the damage and "further action will be taken after the team submits its report," it said. The assistance was sanctioned in response to a request of the state government.
The Narendra Modi government on Monday sanctioned immediate release of Rs 939 crore to Tamil Nadu as flood relief assistance.
Sri Jayendra Saraswati, the head of the Kancheepuram Mutt in Tamil Nadu, on Monday described as "misrepresentation" the birth year of Adi Shankara as approved by the government.
The Supreme Court on Monday agreed to conduct day-to-day hearing on appeals filed against the Karnataka High Court judgement acquitting Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and three others in a disproportionate assets case.
With the North East Monsoon leaving a trail of destruction in Tamil Nadu, the state government on Monday pegged the damage at Rs 8,481 crore, with Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa urging Prime Minister Narendra Modi to immediately release Rs 2,000 crore to sustain relief work.
Months ahead of the Assembly elections, AIADMK General Secretary and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday reconstituted the party setup, retaining E Madhusudhanan and O Pannerselvam as Presidium Chairman and Treasurer respectively.
The toll in rain-related incidents since the onset of the north-east monsoon last month rose to 122 on Sunday with the death of a 27-year old man here in a building collapse, police said.
Heavy vehicles factory in Avadi (Tiruvallore) received 12 cm while Poondi and Ponnamanalle in the same district registered 10 cm each.
According to sources, the commissioning of the second unit is expected to happen at the end of 2016.
As per ANI, authorities have discharged surplus 5000 cusecs water from Chembarambakkam Lake.
TN Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa got the assurance from Home Minister Rajnath Singh when she apprised him of the flood damage in the state.
The accused were taken to a police station and put under arrest after questioning.
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Watch: Top 25 headlines @11:00 am
- PM Modi praises Zee News for Kanpur's Noorjahan story
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- Parliamentary debate over alleged intolerance in India commences
- Global Warming - a war to be fought
- Kanpur: Minor girl raped in moving train, attendant arrested
- SC asks Govinda to apologise for slapping a fan in 2008
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Court's decision to criminalise gay sex needs reconsideration: Jaitley
- Watch: What Varun Dhawan's little fan says to him for 'Dilwale'!
- Spirituality: Chant these 13 mantras for Surya Namaskar!
- Cute, adorable Royal baby Princess Charlotte at six months: Clicked by Mom Kate - See pic
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Don't think freedom of expression ever been so threatened: Nandita Das