A woman employee of the anganwadi centre at Melakaatu vilai near here has been arrested for allegedly causing burn injury on the cheek of a two-and-a-half-year-old girl with a hot spoon, police said on Tuesday.
Heavy rains continue to throw the normal life out of gear in many parts of Tamil Nadu including the most hit Chennai.
Hearing a Public Interest Litigation, Justices V Ramasubramanian and N Kirubakaran directed the Tuticorin Collector to file a report.
Sharp showers continued to lash many parts of the state, including Chennai, resulting in water-logging in many areas and forcing closure of schools in the city even as the weather office forecast more rains.
Heavy rains continue to lash Chennai on Monday forcing the authorities to order closure of schools and colleges.
Stating that eight fishermen had set out for fishing in two mechanised boats from Ramanathapuram and Pudukkottai districts, she said they were apprehended by the Sri Lankan Navy in the early hours of on Sunday.
The low pressure over Bay of Bengal will bring rains to Tamil Nadu and Puduchery on Sunday, the Regional Meteorological Center on Saturday said, warning of 'heavy to very heavy rains' for the two days.
A fresh spell of rain flooded most of the city and large parts of Tamil Nadu, leaving the residential areas still inundated and waterlogged.
Pro-Tamil outfits like Periyar Dravida Iyakkam and 'May 17 movement' celebrated Prabhakaran's birth anniversary in various parts of Chennai.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Thursday requested the central government team to complete its assessment of the damage caused by the floods in the state and submit its report at the earliest.
After an extended break imposed because of heavy rains in the state, all schools and colleges have reopened in Chennai.
Twenty Indian fishermen were arrested by Sri Lankan naval personnel on charges of allegedly violating the International Maritime Boundary Line Thursday morning.
Over 120 people lost their lives in Tamil Nadu in the last fortnight following floods caused by incessant rains.
The Madras High Court on Wednesday directed Tamil Nadu police to accord permission with conditions to an outfit to hold a public meeting in January in connection with the birth anniversary celebrations of 18th century Mysore ruler Tipu Sultan in Vellore district.
A team of central govt officials will visit Tamil Nadu to make first-hand assessment of the damage caused by floods on Thursday.
Four students of Class 11 at the Government Girls School in Tiruchengode in Tamil Nadu have been dismissed from school for consuming beer in their classroom, an education department official said on Tuesday.
The situation continues to remain grim in the Tamil Nadu capital and is unlikely to subside soon as the Northeast Monsoon has become vigorous.
The weather department has warned of isolated heavy rain over Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
Expressing concerns over floods causing damage to life and property, CPI's D Raja said the floods have led to "huge devastation and destruction" in TN.
The Centre is also sending a team to Tamil Nadu to assess the damage and "further action will be taken after the team submits its report," it said. The assistance was sanctioned in response to a request of the state government.
The Narendra Modi government on Monday sanctioned immediate release of Rs 939 crore to Tamil Nadu as flood relief assistance.
Sri Jayendra Saraswati, the head of the Kancheepuram Mutt in Tamil Nadu, on Monday described as "misrepresentation" the birth year of Adi Shankara as approved by the government.
The Supreme Court on Monday agreed to conduct day-to-day hearing on appeals filed against the Karnataka High Court judgement acquitting Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and three others in a disproportionate assets case.
With the North East Monsoon leaving a trail of destruction in Tamil Nadu, the state government on Monday pegged the damage at Rs 8,481 crore, with Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa urging Prime Minister Narendra Modi to immediately release Rs 2,000 crore to sustain relief work.
Months ahead of the Assembly elections, AIADMK General Secretary and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa on Sunday reconstituted the party setup, retaining E Madhusudhanan and O Pannerselvam as Presidium Chairman and Treasurer respectively.
The toll in rain-related incidents since the onset of the north-east monsoon last month rose to 122 on Sunday with the death of a 27-year old man here in a building collapse, police said.
Heavy vehicles factory in Avadi (Tiruvallore) received 12 cm while Poondi and Ponnamanalle in the same district registered 10 cm each.
According to sources, the commissioning of the second unit is expected to happen at the end of 2016.
As per ANI, authorities have discharged surplus 5000 cusecs water from Chembarambakkam Lake.
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- What is the motive behind 'unconditional talks' offer by Pakistan?
- Special report: Kashmiri Pandits recall their plight
- PM Modi praises Zee News for Kanpur's Noorjahan story
- Jhansi's ammunition factory was target of ISI agents
- SC asks Govinda to apologise for slapping a fan in 2008
- Panel discussion on film director Ali Akbar's accusation on Madrasa
- Parliamentary debate over alleged intolerance in India commences
- Global Warming - a war to be fought
- Exclusive: Piyush Goyal optimistic of reaching a deal at Paris climate summit
- Aamir Khan should learn from Baba Sahib Ambedkar, says Mayawati
- Kanpur: Minor girl raped in moving train, attendant arrested
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Revealed: How Pakistan's ISI spy racket operated in India
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Trinamool Congress activist was part of Pak ISI spy ring?
- Bigg Boss: Rimi Sen to get evicted?
- Cute, adorable Royal baby Princess Charlotte at six months: Clicked by Mom Kate - See pic
- Media house attacked over derogatory cartoon in Maharashtra
- Bigg Boss: When Kriti Sanon played Aishwarya Rai’s part to romance Salman Khan
- Watch: Purification in Maharashtra's Shani temple after woman breaks tradition
- SP leader Azam Khan stirs fresh controversy, says RSS leaders are homosexuals
- History will judge captain Virat Kohli, says critical Bishen Singh Bedi