The ruling Trinamool Congress is ahead in most of the wards of Asansol and Bidhannagar Municipal Corporations for which counting is being held on Saturday.
West Bengal News
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday described her visit to Bhutan as "historic" and said it would boost the relationship between the two neighbouring nations.
With not even a fortnight left for the Durga Puja festivities to begin, a puja committee in South Kolkata claims to be putting up the tallest Durga idol in the world for which it had initiated a teaser advertisement months in advance.
Repolling was underway on Friday in 11 booths -- nine in Bidhannagar and two in the Asansol civic bodies -- in West Bengal amid heavy police presence.
A city court on Thursday rejected the bail prayer of West Bengal Transport Minister Madan Mitra who was arrested by CBI on the charge of being involved in the multi-crore rupee Saradha chit fund scam.
The West Bengal State Election Commission announced repolling in 11 booths - 9 in Bidhannagar and two in Asansol civic bodies - will be held on Friday with the results of the October 3 municipal elections being declared Saturday.
Four persons were killed and 13 others injured in a road mishap in WB.
Sushma Swaraj inaugurated the 'Suriname Memorial' to honour thousands of Indian workers who were forced to migrate to South American country.
West Bengal Governor KN Tripathi confirmed on Tuesday that state Election Commissioner SR Upadhyay has tendered his resignation.
The Trinamool Congress on Monday demanded that the State Election Commission reverse its decision to postpone counting of votes at Bidhannagar and Asansol municipal corporations and threatened to launch a movement if it was not taken up on October 7 as scheduled.
Vice Chancellor of Kalyani University Ratanlal Hangloo sent his resignation to Chancellor and Governor KN Triptahy for the second time on Monday after his first attempt was turned down even as varsity authorities decided to revoke the fee hike decision.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday left for five-day visit to Bhutan, where she will hold talks with the leadership and attend a business conclave.
Mamata Banerjee will hold talks with the leadership and attend a business conclave
Amid mounting protests over allegations of violence and rampant malpractices during the local body polls, the West Bengal State Election Commission on Sunday decided to postpone the vote count indefinitely in three civic bodies.
The West Bengal State Election Commission on Sunday postponed counting of votes in the election to Bidhannagar and Asansol municipal corporations following allegations of large-scale violence, even as opposition parties demanded fresh elections.
The Trinamool Congress on Sunday "blamed" the CPI(M) for violence during yesterday's election to Bidhannagar and Asansol municipalities in West Bengal in a counter to the opposition parties' demand for re-election to the two civic bodies alleging loot of votes by the ruling party.
Tarikul Islam, the Bangladeshi terrorist arrested in connection with Burdhwan blast, is believed to have acquired Aadhaar card and Voter Card to project himself as an Indian citizenship and avoid being arrested by the NIA, official sources said here on Sunday.
Local body polls in four pockets of West Bengal on Saturday saw a turnout of about 70 percent, but were marred by violence, allegations of booth capturing and assault on media persons that left 15 of them bloodied and injured.
Polling for Asansol and Bidhan Nagar Municipal Corporations began Saturday morning by and large on a peaceful note barring one stray incident of bomb throwing in Asansol's Jamuria area.
Transgender women here have come together this year to organise a special Durga puja in an "attempt to re-claim social space" in the face of "ostracism".
Many political leaders and workers as well as policemen were injured as a protest programme organised by the Left Front sparked violence leading to pitched battles between the cadres and the security personnel in the heart of the West Bengal capital on Thursday.
CBI on Thursday carried out searches in 19 locations in West Bengal and Odisha in connection with multi-core chit fund scam.
Vice Chancellor of Kalyani University Ratanlal Hangloo on Thursday sent his resignation to Governor KN Tripathi after students protesting against fee hike kept him under a night-long gherao, but his offer to quit was not accepted.
The ruling Trinamool Congress and its arch rival Left Front are once again pitted against each other in next Saturday's election to two municipalities, which is deemed as the last great fight before next year's Assembly Election.
Visva-Bharati Vice Chancellor Sushanta Dattagupta, who was held guilty of administrative irregularities by the HRD Ministry resigned on Thursday.
Claiming constitutional positions "are at stake", West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee Wednesday blasted the Modi government for CBI raids at the residence of Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Virbhadra Singh and wondered what would happen if a CM orders raids at the house of Prime Minister.
A six-member technical team of urban planning experts from the UK are in the city to help develop New Town as a smart city.
Scenes from earthquake-ravaged Nepal and India`s timely help to the neighbouring Himalayan nation will be depicted in clay at a Durga puja pandal here, and would impress upon visitors the importance of humanity, the organisers said.
West Bengal has submitted the application for a (Geographical Indication) GI tag for the rosogolla to stake claim on the sugary delicacy and beat Odisha, a minister said.
ED has registered a case to probe alleged hawala operations behind the over Rs 45 crore cash which was seized in Kolkata as part of a crackdown against lottery operatives channelling illegal funds for the Dawood Ibrahim gang.
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Bihar polls: PM Modi addresses rally in Munger
- Ghazal maestro Ghulam Ali's concert canceled following threats from Shiv Sena
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Thousands stuck in major jam on China's 50-lane expressway
- Dadri lynching was a pre-planned conspiracy: Mulayam Singh
- Ignore provocative politicians, listen to Pranab Mukherjee: Narendra Modi
- Indian Air Force celebrates 83rd foundation day
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Bizarre! Saudi man sexually assaults maid, wife faces jail
- Porn survey: Delhi no 1; 'animal porn' in Pune
- 'If Rashid holds 1000 beef parties, we will thrash him thousand times'
- Radhe Maa dances at casino in London, claims video
- Lalu Prasad Yadav challenges Narendra Modi over 'shaitan' comment, demands PM's apology
- US in talks with Pakistan on limiting its nuclear weapons: Report
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Ghulam Ali concert row: Subramanian Swamy hits back at Shiv Sena's critics
- Bihar polls: Two surveys predict majority for Grand Alliance, one give edge to NDA