The arrested Chhatra Parishad General Secretary of a West Midnapore college on Monday alleged before a court here of mental and physical torture on him and his family by police.
West Bengal News
Gold jewellery worth around Rs 1.5 lakh, besides silver valuables, mementos and cash, was stolen from eminent sitar player Manilal Nag's Cossipore residence in the northern part of the city on Monday afternoon.
CID has taken over the probe into the case of missing question papers of the Teacher Eligibility Test (TET) in West Bengal.
Heavy rainfall has triggered flood-like situation in Jalpaiguri district of West Bengal.
Three persons including a self-styled 'godman' were arrested for allegedly cheating and molesting a woman, who went for consultation to his chamber, in the city, a police officer said.
Trade union CITU on Sunday warned the West Bengal government against attempts by the administration to thwart the nation-wide strike on September 2 even as senior Trinamool Congress leader Subrata Mukherjee said the state government will help people "foil" the strike.
At a time when the sensational Sheena Bora murder mystery is giving sleepless nights to Mumbai Police officials, another bizarre incident of an extra-marital affair and a subsequent violent end to the saga has emerged in West Bengal on Saturday.
BJP West Bengal unit president Rahul Sinha today said the party is contemplating to file a case in the Calcutta High Court to unravel the truth behind lynching of a student in Sabang college in Midnapore West district earlier this month.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee chaired a Tribal Advisory Council meeting here on Wednesday in which it was decided that tribesmen employed in tea gardens would be brought under the pension scheme.
Assam and West Bengal have witnessed high growth rate of Muslim population while the proportion of Sikhs and Buddhists across the country declined and no significant change was witnessed in the case of Christians and Jains.
Congress leaders on Wednesday met West Bengal Governor KN Tripathi and demanded a CBI probe into the killing of the party's student wing leader at Sabang area of West Midnapore last month.
Kolkata: An Uber cab driver was arrested in the city for allegedly misbehaving with a woman passenger, police said on Wednesday.
The candidates who have applied for the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination (JEHOM) 2015 can download their admit card from the official website.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday announced her government`s decision to withdraw over 100 cases against the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) activists and leaders initiated during their separatist movement.
Students agitating against alleged police assault vacated Presidency University vice chancellor Anuradha Lohia`s room on Tuesday, even as she admitted there was trust deficit between the institution and the students but refused to quit and denied being affiliated to any political party.
Lauding the people of Darjeeling for their initiative to make the Queen of Hills clean and green, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Tuesday announced that 50,000 toilets would be built in the hill district .
Two Maoist supporters were on Tuesday arrested from Balarampur town in the district on charges of extortion, a police official said.
The Trinamool Congress on Monday said it has postponed its delegation`s visit to FTII Pune to express solidarity with the agitating students.
Agitating Presidency University students on Monday apologised for their unruly behaviour during their protests demanding Vice Chancellor Anuradha Lohia`s resignation but refused to back down from their stand and said they would continue with the gherao.
A section of Presidency University students continued to demonstrate inside Vice Chancellor Anuradha Lohia`s office for the fourth day on Monday, demanding her resignation claiming non-action during an alleged police assault last week.
The CBI has registered five more cases in connection with the chit fund scam in Assam arising out of alleged financial bunglings by West Bengal-based Saradha group of companies.
BJP national secretary Siddharth Nath Singh on Sunday put a question mark on the intention of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, who has formed a three-member delegation of Trinamool Congress MPs to visit Pune, where the students of Film and Television Institute of India (FTII) are protesting.
Train services in Barasat-Bangaon section of Sealdah division were affected on Monday after a group of passengers obstructed movement of trains demanding that male passengers be allowed to travel in Matribhumi ladies special trains.
Describing the passage of the stalled Goods and Services Tax Bill as a parameter to measure the maturity of India's political system, union finance minister Arun Jaitley on Sunday made a veiled attack on the Congress for "stalling the country's progress".
Calling for more economic activity in eastern states, Finance Minister Arun Jaitley on Sunday said political differences between the BJP and the Trinamool Congress will not come in way of development of West Bengal as he lamented "obsolete policies" of past.
Presidency University Vice Chancellor Anuradha Lohia on Saturday said she is under gherao by a small section of students while a majority have no issues.
Presidency University Vice Chancellor Anuradha Lohia remained under gherao by protesting students since Friday evening, putting a question mark over its third convocation ceremony scheduled for later in the day.
The cumulative borrowings of West Bengal stand at Rs 82,000 crore since the Mamata Banerjee-led Trinamool Congress came to power in May 2011, state Finance Minister Amit Mitra said here on Friday.
West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday said the Narendra Modi government must resolve the ongoing unrest at the Film and Television Institute of India (FTII).
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- PM Modi launches digital version of epic 'Ramcharitmanas'
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Sheena murder: Police recover suitcase, was Mikhail Indrani's next target?
- Senior IAS officer Rajiv Mehrishi to replace LC Goyal as Union Home Secretary
- Has Pakistan forgotten its history of losses at the hands of India? - Part II
- All India Badtameez: Social experiment on dark vs. fair complexion of girls
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Sheena murder case: Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev, driver taken to Raigad crime spot
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I hated my daughter Sheena Bora because she threatened to reveal my secrets: Indrani Mukerjea
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: How Indrani's four attempts to kill Mikhail failed
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie
- Who tipped off Mumbai police about Sheena Bora's murder?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail
- Impressed with ISL, German giants Borussia Dortmund eyes India but looks for right opportunity and partner
- Sheena Bora murder: Mumbai Police likely to conduct narco test on Indrani Mukerjea, her ex-husband Sanjeev