Rejecting the charge of AIADMK General Secretary V K Sasiskala's husband M Natarajan that sections in the BJP were trying to "destabilise" the Tamil Nadu government, senior BJP leader L Ganesan today said the Centre wants "smooth relationship" with the state.
In Jallikattu, a bull vaulter is expected to hang on to the bull's hump for a stipulated distance or hold on to the hump for a minimum of three jumps made by the bull.
42-year-old Deepa Jayakumar, who has an international degree in journalism, is the daughter of Jayalalithaa's only brother late Jayakumar.
Will fulfill dreams of AIADMK workers, says Deepa
The entire Tamil Nadu is celebrating the hundredth birth anniversary of their former chief minister and founder of All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) M.G. Ramachandran on Tuesday as hundreds thronged his memorial at Marina Beach here.
Hundreds of people in Tamil Nadu took to the streets on Tuesday against the arrest of those who protested in favour of Jallikattu.
MK Stalin on Monday dubbed animal rights advocacy group PETA as "anti-national".
Kaanum Pongal, the last day of the Pongal festivities, in which people visit their near and dear ones, was celebrated in Tamil Nadu with great enthusiasm.
AIADMK chief V K Sasikala today asked her party men to ensure "enemies" did not exploit the "crisis" created by the "sudden" demise of her predecessor, the late Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, and said she had taken over the party's reigns on their "affectionate order".
Thousands of people on Monday took to the streets in Madurai's Alanganallur town in Tamil Nadu protesting a ban against Jallikattu, the ancient and popular bull-taming sport.
The Bharatiya Janata Party(BJP) leader Subramanian Swamy on Monday alleged that protest organised against Jallikattu has been inspired from abroad and he intends to take the case to CBI in terms of funding of the animal rights organisations.
Amid protests against the Supreme Court ban on Jallikattu, the Tamil Nadu Police on Sunday detained several people at various places in some southern districts for attempting to organise the bull taming sport.
The citizens of southern state Tamil Nadu on Sunday urges the Supreme Court to pass the judgment on bull-taming sports Jallikattu after a proper analysis.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O Panneerselvam on Saturday condoled the death of former state Governor Surjit Singh Barnala.
Several supporters of Jallikattu were on Saturday taken into preventive custody near here for allegedly trying to defy a ban on the traditional bull taming sport associated with Pongal festivities.
In yet another instance of defiance, jallikattu was organised on Friday in Madurai as protests continued for the fourth day today in Tamil Nadu with principal opposition DMK too hitting the streets on Pongal eve, seeking permission for conducting the bull taming sport.
The Centre has supported Jallikkatu and said that it could ensure that bulls are not tortured or subjected to alcohol before the sport.
The Madras High Court on Thursday dismissed a PIL seeking a direction to the Centre to nationalise the immovable and movable properties of late Tamil Nadu chief Minister J Jayalalithaa, saying these were self-earned by her and the court could not interfere.
The Supreme Court on Thursday refused to pass order before Saturday on plea challenging Centre's notification allowing Jallikattu.
The Chief Minister said that he will ensure that the ancient bull-taming sports is held in Tamil Nadu this year.
Pongal was among the 12 holidays that the Centre considered as optional.
Jayalalithaa died on December 5 after suffering from a cardiac arrest.
A bench comprising Chief Justice S K Kaul and Justice M Sundar raised these questions when one of the three PILs seeking a judicial inquiry into the circumstances leading to her death came up for hearing.
Panneerselvam told Modi that bulls meant for Jallikattu are reared exclusively for the event and are embraced by able-bodied youth during the sport.
The first bench of the Madras High Court was hearing a petition filed by an AIADMK member seeking a judicial probe into the mysterious death of Amma
The Tamil Nadu government sought a compensation of Rs 2,480 crore from Karnataka.
MDMK founder Vaiko today appealed to Chief Minister O Panneerselvam to release seven convicts in the Rajiv Gandhi assassination case on the occasion of the birth centenary of former Chief Minister, late MG Ramachandran, citing precedents in the past.
Expressing concern over deaths of farmers in the backdrop of monsoon failure in Tamil Nadu, DMK Working President M K Stalin today urged the state government to implement relief measures on 'war-footing' and take steps to prevent further fatalities of ryots.
The Sri Lankan Navy personnel apprehended as many as ten Tamil Nadu fishermen along with their boats at Palk Strait in the wee hours on Sunday.
The water level in Chennai's reservoirs was very low, Chief Minister O Panneerselvam in his letter to his Andhra Pradesh counterpart N Chandrababu Naidu said.
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- Akhilesh Yadav emerges victorious; Ramgopal Yadav hints towards alliance with Congress
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- Watch: Heavy snowfall in Kashmir and other hilly areas!
- DNA: DIHAR produces vegetables for Army in high areas
- DNA: Why was Dangal girl Zaira Wasim forced to apologize post meeting with Mehbooba Mufti? - Part II
- Killfie - India tops ranking for selfie deaths
- DNA: Why was Dangal girl Zaira Wasim forced to apologize post meeting with Mehbooba Mufti?
- DNA: Today in History | January 16, 2017
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Salman Khan - Katrina Kaif will clash with Ranbir Kapoor – Here’s why
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble
- RBI hikes ATM withdrawal limit to Rs 10,000 per day; no change in weekly withdrawal limit
- Real reason why Election Commission gave 'cycle' to Akhilesh Yadav but not his father Mulayam Singh
- WATCH: Mushfiqur Rahman rushed to hospital after being hit on head by Tim Southee's bouncer
- Akhilesh Yadav allotted `cycle` symbol by EC; UP CM seeks father Mulayam's blessings
- One rupee which I took from bride's family was shagun, not dowry: Yogeshwar Dutt
- Ludhiana shocker: `They were dying...and people were clicking pictures`
- Amid fight for 'cycle', SP chief Mulayam says will contest against son Akhilesh