Indian Police Service PS officer SMH Mirza, whom then CBI named in the FIR with a dozen senior leaders of Trinamool Congress in the Narada sting footage case, appeared before the agency officials at Nizam Palace here on Thursday afternoon, an official said.
West Bengal News
State Home Secretary Malay De, who chaired an all-party meeting here on the prevailing situation in the scenic hills, said the doors of the government "are open for talks to restore normalcy in there".
Ambulance services were hit and TV cable connections snapped in some areas as the GJM- sponsored indefinite shutdown in Darjeeling hills entered the eight day on Thursday.
A fresh suo moto FIR has been lodged against Gorkha Janamukti Morcha supremo Bimal Gurung, his Asha and other supporters.
Terming the West Bengal government-sponsored all party meet on June 22 to discuss the volatile situation in the north Bengal hills as "delayed and pointless", the state opposition parties have decided to stay away from it.
The West Bengal government employees in Darjeeling hills, who failed to attend to their regular duties owing to the indefinite shutdown by Gorkha Janamukti Morcha (GJM), will face pay cut.
The petitioner in her plea said that she had suffered immense mental and physical anguish after coming to know of the abnormalities in her 21st week of pregnancy.
Arrested former Calcutta High Court judge C S Karnan was taken to a state-run hospital this evening when he complained of chest pain after he was brought from Chennai and sent to the Presidency correctional home (jail) here.
Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM), which called for an indeifinite strike demanding for a separate statehood for the Gorkhas, on Wednesday offered a 12-hour window on June 23 in Darjeeling hills to evacuate students safely to Siliguri and Rongpo.
Former Calcutta High Court Justice C S Karnan, who was arrested from a guest house in Tamil Nadu's Coimbatore yesterday by the West Bengal Police, said on Wednesday that he is fighting against the evil of corruption.
The parties, which attended yesterday's meeting, also decided not to participate in the June 22 all-party meet called by the West Bengal government to discuss the prevailing situation in the hills.
The indefinite bandh in the Darjeeling hills, which entered its sixth day, will continue until security forces are withdrawn, a GJM-sponsored all-party meeting decided on Tuesday.
Bankura recorded the state's highest rainfall since yesterday at 18 cm, while Coochbehar in north Bengal recorded 14 cm rainfall.
Effigies of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee were burnt as thousands of protesters marched on the streets of Darjeeling demanding a separate state.
Since June 8, Darjeeling has witnessed violent clashes between GJM activists and police over the demand of a separate state of Gorkhaland.
Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission President Swami Atmasthanandaji Maharaj was on Monday cremated with full state honours as devotees and eminent personalities paid their last respects.
The West Bengal State Council of Technical Education (WBSCTE) declared WBSCTE Diploma Result 2017, WBSCTVESD CET Results 2017 on Tuesday.
Mamata Banerjee will address the Public Service Day of the UN on June 22 at The Hague in the Netherlands.
Mamata Banerjee accused the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha of hatching a "conspiracy to divide the state".
Security forces were on high alert and internet services remained suspended, though no incidents of violence were reported in Darjeeling hills till 9.30 am on Monday.
The police said that a library, two panchayat offices and a police vehicle were set on fire in Kalimpong in the afternoon as the indefinite shutdown call given by the GJM to press for a separate state had entered its fourth day.
Amid Darjeeling remaining on the boil over a separate statehood agitation, Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Sunday appealed to Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) protesters not to resort to violence and, instead hold dialogue with the government to resolve the issue.
As the indefinite strike called by the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha enters its seventh day in Darjeeling Hills on Sunday, protests over the demand for a separate state are set to intensify with GJM ruling out talks with West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee.
Darjeeling is bracing for another shutdown as the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha (GJM) leadership has decided to hold a protest rally with the bodies of two persons allegedly killed during clashes on Saturday.
"It is true that we are in favour of small states. Once we decide something about it, we will announce it": Amit Shah
Thirty-six policemen were injured on Saturday in clashes with the GJM supporters.
The Centre had held back sending additional paramilitary personnel meant for Darjeeling yesterday till the receipt of the West Bengal government's report on the situation there.
This was the first death since violent protests returned to Darjeeling on June 8, after a gap of a few years.
"We are not ready for talks with West Bengal government. Mamata Banerjee has insulted us, she has called us terrorists," GJM leader Binay Tamang said.
"Development work will continue and there should be an end to this deep rooted conspiracy in the hills. In this matter, the central and state government must come together," she said.
- India's first traffic robot introduced in Indore
- International Yoga Day 2017: PM Modi leads celebrations in Lucknow
- DNA: Analysing Anil Kumble's exit statement as India coach
- Martyr Kashmiri cop Firoz Dar's poem on Facebook goes viral
- Moving towards making India self-reliant in Defence, says PM Modi in Lucknow
- Anil Kumble steps down as Team India head coach
- J&K: Three LeT terrorists killed in Pulwama
- All you need to know about operation 'All Out' in J&K
- Arunachal Pradesh: Army rescues 200 stranded civilians post massive landslide
- Agra: Drunk policeman creates ruckus, assaults hotel staff
- Lucknow: 7-year-old girl dies after iron gate of UP Secretariat falls on her
- DNA: Analysis of life taking speed breakers
- Watch: Record 5 lakh people do Yoga in Ahmedabad
- Presidential election: JD(U) supports NDA pick Ram Nath Kovind
- Take a look! 25 best pictures of International Yoga Day celebrations
- Bihar Board 10th result 2017 LIVE: BSEB 10th result 2017/Matric result 2017 declared, check biharboard.ac.in; overall pass percentage is 50.12
- Delhi on high alert after Intelligence Bureau warns of London-style terror attack
- Virender Sehwag reacts on Anil Kumble's resignation, says Jumbo's shoes will be hard to fill
- Saudi family tax creates big financial burden for Indians; 100 riyals for each dependent per month
- After Anil Kumble-Virat Kohli fiasco, fans demand return of MS Dhoni as India captain
- World must be prepared for an asteroid strike, warns scientist
- GST effect: AC, first class train fares to go up
- Anil Kumble confirms rift with Virat Kohli : READ his exit statement
- Virat Kohli vs Anil Kumble: Batting great Sunil Gavaskar demands clarification from India captain
- Rajdhani, Shatabdi trains now set for a makeover: Here is all you need to know
- Refrain from promoting GST or face protest: Congress' advice to Amitabh Bachchan
- Day of retirements for New Zealand: Black Caps lose Luke Ronchi, Jeetan Patel on same day
- China funding Pakistan's mega dam in Pak-occupied Kashmir?
- Darjeeling unrest: Gorkhaland offers 12-hr window to schools to evacuate students, indefinite strike to continue
- Digvijaya Singh shared dias with Zakir Naik, called him a proponent of peace — WATCH video