174 dead, 1.6 million displaced in UP floods
Lucknow: At least 174 people were killed and 1.6 million people got displaced as the flood situation remained grim in Uttar Pradesh, officials said Tuesday.
Many rvers, including the Ganga, the Yamuna, Ram Ganga, Sharda, Rapti, Ghaghra and Gomti, are in spate. According to the relief commissioner`s office, nearly one million hectare of cultivable land has been destroyed and 299 livestock killed in 15 districts.
Heavy rain in several districts has compounded the problem.
Initially, the state`s western part bore the brunt of floods but now the rivers are causing havoc in eastern part as well, an official said.
The Kuaono river has wrecked havoc in Basti, Sant Kabeernagar and Gorakhpur districts, while the Ganga is in fury in Kanpur, Rae Bareilly, Allahabad, Mirzapur, Varanasi and Ghazipur districts.
The Ram Ganga has flooded Bijnore and parts of Moradabad, while the Yamuna river submerged vast expanses in Etawah, Muzaffarnagar, Jalaun, Auraiyya, Baghpat and Banda.
Other rivers like the Betwa, Gomti, Sharda and Ghaghra have caused widespread destruction in Jhansi, Lalitpur, Jalaun and Hamirpur, Lucknow, Lakhimpur Kheri and Bahraich districts, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers