174 dead, 1.6 million displaced in UP floods
Lucknow: At least 174 people were killed and 1.6 million people got displaced as the flood situation remained grim in Uttar Pradesh, officials said Tuesday.
Many rvers, including the Ganga, the Yamuna, Ram Ganga, Sharda, Rapti, Ghaghra and Gomti, are in spate. According to the relief commissioner`s office, nearly one million hectare of cultivable land has been destroyed and 299 livestock killed in 15 districts.
Heavy rain in several districts has compounded the problem.
Initially, the state`s western part bore the brunt of floods but now the rivers are causing havoc in eastern part as well, an official said.
The Kuaono river has wrecked havoc in Basti, Sant Kabeernagar and Gorakhpur districts, while the Ganga is in fury in Kanpur, Rae Bareilly, Allahabad, Mirzapur, Varanasi and Ghazipur districts.
The Ram Ganga has flooded Bijnore and parts of Moradabad, while the Yamuna river submerged vast expanses in Etawah, Muzaffarnagar, Jalaun, Auraiyya, Baghpat and Banda.
Other rivers like the Betwa, Gomti, Sharda and Ghaghra have caused widespread destruction in Jhansi, Lalitpur, Jalaun and Hamirpur, Lucknow, Lakhimpur Kheri and Bahraich districts, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list