Las Vegas shooting: President Trump offers condolences after at least 58 killed
US President Donald Trump offered condolences early Monday morning to victims and their families after a 64-year-old male opened fire on a crowd in Las Vegas killing at least 58 and injuring another 515.
Trump termed the incident - regarded as the worst mass shooting incident in the history of the country - as terrible.
Praising the first responders, the US Preseident further said it 'was an act of pure evil'. He would visit Vegas on Wednesday, Trump added.
My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 2, 2017
The incident happened late Sunday night when a gunman identified as Stephen Paddock opened fire on an open air concert from his 32nd floor room at the adjoining Mandalay Bay Casino. Absolute panic followed with concert-goers scampering to take cover.
Local authorities and a SWAT team quickly reached the spot and Paddock - believed to be a Las Vegas local - was shot dead. He was believed to have been a 'lone wolf'.
Authorities also say that no connection between Paddock and any international organisation has yet been established.
Meanwhile, White House spokesman Sarah Sanders said separately that the president had been briefed on "the horrific tragedy in Las Vegas" on Sunday night. "We are monitoring the situation closely and offer our full support to state and local officials," she said.