Tax luxury not basic needs: Brinda Karat
New Delhi: CPI(M) Polit Bureau member and Rajya Sabha MP Brinda Karat feels that women are more affected by rising inflation. Speaking on ‘Zara Hatke’ from the series Bharat Bhagya Vidhata on Zee Media, she opined that inflation is mainly because of the wrong policies of the government.
“Our country doesn’t lack resources; we have sufficient production in our country. More than one tonne of grains are rotting in our cold storages. This all is the result of system failure and strapped policies,” she said.
Speaking to Ashutosh Rana, anchor of the show, Brinda said, “Our government is implementing a Food Security Bill for the same but unfortunately the bill has many flaws. This bill will have a negative impact in some areas.”
“Food Security Bill was passed after lots of struggle, but there are loopholes in the bill. The clauses mentioned in the bill are not appropriate,” she explained to Rana. However, she defended the bill saying its funding was unnecessarily being made an issue. “All the levies given to India Inc through tax reliefs should be stopped and the money instead used to fund the pro poor programme,” she opined.
“Government should direct its policies in the right direction. It should focus on production costs in India and not that of America. We have sufficient resources, what we lack is intension in our policies”, said Brinda.
On the question on how change can be brought in such a scenario, Brinda said, “I am very optimistic about the future of India because I have witnessed a change in the awareness amongst women. They are now more inquisitive about country’s development. People are fighting for their rights and are uniting for the same.”
“We have Essential Commodities Act which keeps check on black-marketing and other such corruption practices but it is seldom brought in use. Politicians don’t want to change the policies which favour their interest. We need to be well aware about all these laws and acts. To eliminate poverty we have to be as firm and determined as we were at the time of freedom struggle”, she added.
On the view that tax policies are also responsible for inflation, Brinda responded with the view: “To meet its loss, government has put taxes on resources which are not suitable for tax implementation, like in the case of petrol and diesel. Even some states are putting taxes on some of the food items, which is totally erroneous. Luxurious need must come with taxes not the basic ones.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day