Facebook shares plunge amid ‘private messages appearing on public timeline’ claims
London: Facebook’s shares continued to plummet after it emerged that users’ old private messages were being published publicly on the social networking site.
Since Facebook went public in May, its share price has dropped by 45 percent.
On Tuesday its price showed no signs of improving as it fell 9.1 per cent to 20.79 dollars at the close in New York, the Daily Mail reports.
Experts said the drop came in the wake of recent rumours that a bug in the site caused private direct messages to be published on public timelines.
Online users have claimed private messages written in 2009 and earlier were showing up on viewable timelines as messages ''posted by friends''.
Facebook, however, denies the claims, saying ‘these messages were older wall posts that had always been visible on the users'' profile pages.’
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cortana for Android available for public beta in US
- Xiaomi Redmi 2 Vs Redmi 2 Prime: Specification comparisons
- Middle class woes to continue, wholesale onion price shoots up to Rs 57 per kg
- Alleged land encroachment in Greater Noida: HC asks DM to decide representation in 3 months
- Watch: Review of Mahindra TUV300