Alcohol may be depriving you of sleep
London: Taking alcohol before bedtime has long been viewed by many as one of the ways to sleep. But a new study has found that alcohol in fact causes insomnia and deprives a night`s rest of its restorative powers.
For the study, students were given a series of alcoholic drinks of varying strengths an hour and 40 minutes before going to bed. Each time readings were taken that recorded activity in their heart and brain, Daily Express reported.
Researchers found that alcohol resulted in sleeplessness and the disturbed nights left the students exhausted.
The alcohol suppressed parasympathetic nerve activity - the part of the "autonomic", or non-voluntary, nervous system that slows heart rate and aids digestion, it was found.
The findings were published Tuesday in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research.
Study leader Yohei Sagawa, of Akita University, Japan, said: "Although the first half of sleep after alcohol looks good, drinking leads to insomnia rather than good sleep."
Sagawa`s US colleague Seiji Nishino said: "It is generally believed a nightcap may aid sleep, especially sleep initiation.
"This may be true for some who have small amounts of alcohol. However, large amounts interfere with sleep quality and the restorative role of sleep.
"These negative consequences may be much larger during chronic alcohol intake."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kangana Ranaut turns GORGEOUS showstopper for Tarun Tahiliani at Lakme Fashion Week—Pics inside!
- Biopic on Kishore Kumar, RD Burman shouldn't be made: Naseeruddin Shah
- 'Law & Order' actor Steven Hill dies at 94
- Wedding SONG of the year 'Nachde Ne Saare' has Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra dance to glory! Watch
- 'Befikre' Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor's latest STILL will make you standstill!