Online ‘penny pill’ triples smokers’ chances of quitting
London: A new study has found that a nicotine substitute that can be bought online for just 12p can more than triple a smoker’s chances of quitting for at least a year.
Tabex, which contains the active ingredient cytisine, is obtained from laburnum seeds and experts believe it is as effective as conventional stop-smoking treatments, Sky News reported.
The trial, involving 740 patients, found that people who wanted to stop smoking were 3.4 times more likely to succeed with Tabex than with a “dummy” placebo tablet.
Participants took between two and six pills per day for 25 days. After treatment, 8.4 percent of those given Tabex were able to avoid smoking for a year compared with 2.4percent of the placebo group.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Befikre' Aditya Chopra makes RARE appearance; pens heart-warming letter on why Ranveer Singh starrer is his 'second first film'!
- Kahaani 2 weekend collections: Vidya Balan starrer mints Rs 16 cr
- Birthday special: Eight times Manish Malhotra created magic on-screen!
- Salman Khan and Shah Rukh Khan's awesome bromance bigger than any award!
- Deepika Padukone looks ravishing on the latest 'Elle' cover!