India needs many more regional schools of theatre: NSD chairperson Ratan Thiyam
New Delhi: India needs many regional schools of theatre, including in the northeast, said National School of Drama chairperson Ratan Thiyam, who describes theatre as "a protest against wrong system".
"Yes, we certainly need many regional schools of theatre," Thiyam told IANS in an interview.
"North-east should get more opportunities and exposure."
The Manipur-born playwright and theatre director set up his troupe, Chorus Repertory, on the outskirts of Imphal in 1976 when he was barely 27 and he has not looked back since. He was appointed the NSD chief in August.
Playwright Girish Karnad described Thiyam as "already being placed alongside the great theatre figures of the last hundred years, such as Peter Brook, (Tadashi) Suzuki and (Jerzy) Grotowski".
The Chorus Repertory that Thiyam built has presented his plays in over 30 countries across the world.
"I don`t know what is theatre and that`s why I am doing theatre. The only thing I know is that theatre is a laboratory process of experimentation," the thespian from Manipur, known for his ingenious adaptations of traditional Indian art forms in his productions, told IANS.
Thiyam`s journey of experimentation that he also calls the "paint and erase method" began right after his graduation from the National School of Drama in 1974.
This was also the time when Indian theatre was struggling to re-establish its authenticity on the world stage.
Thiyam`s instincts responded to the re-awakening of Indian drama and he felt the irresistible urge to experiment with the rich traditions of Manipuri art and present them in a contemporary way.
For him, "theatre is a protest against a wrong system. It enhances understanding of socio-eco-political-religio elements, making possible a dialogue between audience and performance".
Now for almost 40 years, Thiyam has stunned the world with his productions that revel in performance as opposed to the text-based western dramaturgy, mesmerising visuals, melodious music and imaginative utilisation of the space at his disposal.
"Chakravyuh", "Urubhangam", "Uttar Priyadarshi", "Lengshonnei" (an adaptation of Sophocles` Antigone), "Aashibagee Eshei" (adaption of Henrik Ibsen`s When We Dead Awaken), "The King of Dark Chamber - Raja" (adaptation of Rabindranath Tagore`s eponymous play) "Imphal Imphal" and "Ritusamharam" (based on Sanskrit poet Kalidasa`s eponymous poem) are some of his popular plays.
Not just being a distinguished playwright, Thiyam plays many roles -- a painter, designer, music composer, choreographer, lighting expert, costume designer and a terrific poet.
He also takes pain to train his 30-odd artistes in dance, acting, Manipuri martial arts, stagecraft, design and traditional Indian art forms.
However, in making Chorus Repertory stand on its feet, the 66-year-old maestro has faced his own share of troubles. But unlike the money that comes with great difficulty for each of his production, the honours and accolades from India and abroad have flown freely to him.
He was honoured with the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1987, the Padma Shri in 1989, Kalidas Samman in 2005, Bharat Muni Samman in 2011 and the Sangeet Natak Fellowship award, the highest honour in performing arts conferred by the government in 2012.
For his play "Chakravyuh", Thiyam won the prestigious Fringe Firsts Award, at the Edinburgh International Theatre Festival in 1987. He is only the second Indian after Kapila Vatsayan to receive the John D. Rockefeller Award, in 2008.
Thiyam considers the National School of Drama his "mother institution".
And he wishes to see "more improvement and see it as a theatre learning centre of advanced studies".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- In Pics: Mallika Sherawat dazzles in Georges Hobeika gown!
- Sylvester Stallone wants action movie with Salman Khan
- Aamir Khan wants to see 'Bombay Velvet'
- Lara Dutta loved shooting for 'Singh Is Bliing' in Goa!
- ‘Kashibai’ Priyanka Chopra resumes shooting post her break!
- Alanis Morissette believes breastfeeding can be `intimidating`
- Pamela Anderson says `learned a lesson` after divorcing Rick Salomon again
- Ashton Kutcher: Don't print paparazzi pics of my baby girl
- 'My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2' to hit theaters in March 2016
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Taylor Swift's 'Bad Blood' breaks Vevo record with 20.1m views in 1day
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Akshay Kumar to launch his clothing line
- Lady Gaga gets over 30 wedding dress sketches from top designers
- Ditch black for bold and bright this summer
- Style up in suede in spring, summer
- Kylie's lip fillers changed her confidence: Kim Kardashian
- Jane Fonda proud to be a fashion icon
- Fashion is not for everybody: Dolce and Gabbana
- Designer Monisha Jaising to enter e-commerce
- Sculpt your looks like Moore, N'yongo did at Cannes
- Keep neck jewellery light in summer
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'