I can`t do the stereotypical father`s roles: Rishi Kapoor
Mumbai: Veteran actor Rishi Kapoor, who plays Sonam Kapoor`s father in debutant director Nupur Asthana`s "Bewakoofiyaan" says he isn`t likely to be seen in any "stereotypical" fatherly roles as he finds them "too unexciting".
"If you notice, I didn`t play my own son`s (Ranbir) father in `Besharam`. It is not vanity, just sanity. I can`t do the stereotypical father`s role. They don`t challenge me as an actor at all. So I avoid doing father`s roles. It`s just too unexciting," said the 61-year-old.
"To my good fortune I am getting roles that do not require me to be the so-called father," he added.
"Bewakoofiyaan", he says, offered him a rare chance to further a father`s role.
"In `Bewakoofiyaan`, there are only three main characters - Sonam`s, Ayushmann`s (Ayushmann Khurrana" and mine. The film gave me a chance to do something more than what we generally see fathers do in our films. Not that there is anything revolutionary or path-breaking about a father frowning over a daughter getting married," he said.
However, the versatile actor sees "Bewakoofiyaan" as a sign of the changing times.
"When I did the roles of the loverboy, parental approval for my choice of soul-mate was very important. And if the loverboy of yesteryears didn`t get the father`s blessings, he had to elope with the girl.
"If you remember, in `Bobby` (1973) I had to flee on the mobike with Dimple Kapadia. Now in `Bewakoofiyaan`, my daughter says, `This is the guy for me. You better accept it.`"
Rishi finds his transition from the rebellious lover-on-the-run in "Bobby" to the disapproving father in "Bewakoofiyaan" interesting.
"Today in `Bewakoofiyaan`, I am in the position that Pran-ji as my father occupied in `Bobby`. I`ve been working for the last 42 years. And look at how much has changed. In `Bobby`, the parents tried to bully the lovers. One can`t do that anymore.
"In `Bewakoofiyaan`, the father has to accept the fact that his daughter is an adult and can take her own decisions on her own life, however concerned the father may be about his daughter`s lifestyle.
"Couples today work together towards achieving a common goal, whether it`s a house, or holidays abroad or whatever. The parents have little say in their children`s life," he said.
Rishi doesn`t interfere in his own children`s life in his real life. He has two children - daughter Riddhima and son Ranbir.
"They are independent individuals with minds of their own. If today I was to behave like Pran saab in `Bobby`, my kids would laugh in my face. Today parental intervention is permissible only to the point where the kids respect your opinion," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- B.B. King death to be investigated as homicide
- Ranveer Singh goes gaga over Anushka Sharma!
- Shahid Kapoor reaches the 6 million mark on Twitter!
- Bombay High Court likely to hear Salman Khan's travel plea on Tuesday
- 'Peterson Hill' set relocated
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita Khan's wedding reception in Mandi
- Shield hair from monsoon humidity
- `Piku' crosses Rs 100 crore mark worldwide
- Aamir Khan visits Sonam Kapoor on the sets of 'Neerja'
- Rolling Stones kick off 'Zip Code' stadium tour in San Diego
- Shield hair from monsoon humidity
- Eva Longoria wants fitness empire
- Akshay Kumar to launch his clothing line
- Lady Gaga gets over 30 wedding dress sketches from top designers
- Ditch black for bold and bright this summer
- Style up in suede in spring, summer
- Kylie's lip fillers changed her confidence: Kim Kardashian
- Jane Fonda proud to be a fashion icon
- Fashion is not for everybody: Dolce and Gabbana
- Designer Monisha Jaising to enter e-commerce
- Sculpt your looks like Moore, N'yongo did at Cannes
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened