I`m not afraid to say that I`m a feminist: Nicole Kidman
Los Angeles: Actress Nicole Kidman, who was honoured for her humanitarian work at the annual Variety Power of Women event, says she is not afraid to be known as feminist.
Hollywood stars Charlize Theron, Kerry Washington, Elizabeth Banks and Jennifer Hudson were also in attendance at the Lifetime-sponsored gala and were honoured for their work and humanitarian efforts, reported Variety.
"I was raised by a feminist mother. And yes, she said, `Never be frightened about using the F-word`. So I`m not. She believes in the sisterhood, and so do I. And she planted the seed in me early to speak out against the fact that women are so often treated differently than men," Kidman said.
"No matter how long I devote my time to this, I still cannot comprehend that one in three girls in their lifetime will be beaten, abused, or raped. It`s just an unbelievable statistic," she added.
Kidman also spoke about the recent incident where she was allegedly knocked over by a photographer on a bike.
"It shows what can happen and how dangerous it is, and how out of control a lot of them are, so I`m glad those laws were passed in California to protect the children. If that happened to my child, forget it!"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- He has to forgive me someday: Arijit Singh on row with Salman Khan
- Panchmukhi Hanuman – Know significance and reasons to pray Him!
- Kapil Sharma invites you to unlimited fun with Mika Singh and Chris Gayle at 'The Kapil Sharma Show'!
- Not most fashionable but carry myself well: Fawad Khan
- Saif Ali Khan, Rani Mukerji's 'Hum Tum' ticks 12 years!