It`s a dream to make a film on Maulana Azad: Aamir Khan
Kolkata: Bollywood star Aamir Khan, the great grand nephew of Muslim scholar and nationalist Maulana Abul Kalam Azad, Wednesday said it is his dream to make a film on the life of the great leader.
"I hope that some day I can use my capabilities, and through the art form that I practise, to make a film on Maulana Azad. It`s a dream to bring his life to a larger populace of India," he said at the inauguration of Apeejay Kolkata Literary Fest 2014.
The actor wished he had met the freedom fighter and read excerpts from one of Azad`s interviews in 1946.
In reference to the interview, he said he was "amazed" by Azad`s predictions, a year before India`s Independence, of the partition of the sub-continent in 1947 and the 1971 Bangladesh Liberation War.
"I read the book that he wrote and that`s how I got to know him. He came across to me as an extremely progressive mind, extremely fertile mind, a person who was balanced, a person who who really had justice at his core.
"When I was reading the interview I was amazed at his clear thinking ... his ability to convey in a very clear manner what he felt ... his ability to really predict what was going to happen really hit out at me."
Chairman of Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies Sitaram Sharma, a collaborator of the event, extended the institute`s co-operation to Aamir for his proposed film on the freedom-fighter.
West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan said Azad`s view on secularism are "extremely important today" when secularism is coming under attack.
AKLF, running till Jan 13, will celebrate the secular views of Azad to coincide with his 125th birth anniversary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' breaks into Rs 100 crore club
- Vidya Balan turns down Suchitra Sen biopic
- Disney pulls plug on 'Tron 3'
- 21 European films to be screened in Kolkata
- Mamata Banerjee remembers Rituparno Ghosh as West Bengal's pride
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- 'Ishqedarriyaan' review: An oft-seen love story
- Chris Brown sometimes hated himself
- Emilia Clarke called 'Dragon Lady' in shops
- Kangana Ranaut inaugurates first Gap store in India
- Nicki Minaj particular about sex
- Iggy Azalea cancels tour
- Levine's throat problem cancels 'Maroon 5' concert
- Adele is going to be me in 40 years: Stevie Nicks
- Mother's death made me a musician: Bono
- Sonu Nigam teams up with Sandesh Shandilya for 'Chalk n Duster'
- 'Entourage' soundtrack out in June
- Getting perfect pitch possible for some adult musicians
- Taylor Swift concert wristband save three teenagers' lives
- Jason Derulo unveils new album
- Happy Mondays making music with tribes
- Musical tribute to Noor Jehan, but with a twist
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Railways may hike AC class fares from June 1, 2015
- Protests outside IIT-Madras against ban on students' group
- Special: Heart-wrenching tales of elderly people in old age homes
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department
- Govt committed to One Rank, One Pension: PM Narendra Modi
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared to be declared today at 3PM