Know all about Sridevi
Full Name: Sridevi (born Shree Amma Yanger)
Birthday: August 13
Birth Place: Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu, India
Zodiac Sign: Leo
Height: 5’ 6”
Shree Amma Yanger, better known as Sridevi was born on August 13, 1963 in Sivakasi, a town in Virudhunagar district in Tamil Nadu. Her father`s name was Ayyapan (a lawyer) and her mother`s name was Rajeswari. Sridevi has a sister, Srilatha. She has two step brothers from her father`s previous marriage. Her mother tongue is Tamil.
Sridevi started her career as a child artist in the Tamil movie Kandhan Karunai (1967) and acted in many Tamil and Telugu movies as she grew up. Some examples of her notable Malayalam movies are: `Aadhyapaadam`, `Aalinganam`, `Kuttavum Sikshaiyum`, `Aa Nimisham`. In 1976, she got her first big break as a heroine in K. Balachander`s Moondru Mudichu, where she starred opposite Kamal Haasan and Rajnikanth. In many ways, this movie was a landmark in Tamil filmdom.
During the same time, Sridevi also made inroads into Telugu language movies. She acted with all major heroes in Telugu.
It was with `Solva Sawan` (1979) that she entered Bollywood, to remain an inseparable part of the Hindi film industry. Though the film bombed at the box-office, Sridevi was noticed. However, her second movie, `Himmatwala`, went on to be a big success and established her status in Bollywood. The film also earned her the famous nickname Thunder Thighs. The film made Jeetendra and Sridevi a popular pair with the audiences and the duo went on to star in several hits like `Tohfa`, `Mawaali` and `Justice Chaudhry`. In 1983, Sridevi also starred opposite Kamal Hasan in the critically acclaimed drama Sadma, which is often cited by critics as the most definitive child-woman performance of Sridevi`s career.
Sridevi’s father died while she was filming `Lamhe`, her mother while she was making `Judaa`i. Although it is the Hindu custom that the son lights the funeral pyre, Sridevi lit the pyre for her mother`s last rites.
Sridevi has acted opposte many top actors of bollywood, from Jeetendar, Rishi Kapoor, Mithun Chakraborty to Amitabh Bachchan, Anil Kapoor, Sunny Deol and among the younger generation, she starred opposite Shah Rukh Khan, Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar amongst others.
She is also producing many of Boney Kapoor`s films like ‘Shakti’ (2002), making her mark behind the camera also.
Sridevi is best known for: A sojourn through 200 films in several languages between l967 and 2000, innumerable awards and the dexterity to handle a variety of roles, Sridevi has managed to survive all odds. She has acted in adult roles in over 200 movies, 63 in Hindi; 62 in Telugu; 58 in Tamil; and 21 in Malayalam - in a career that has spanned from 1967 through to 2007.
A child woman in ‘Sadma’ (1983), a strong-headed middle class girl in ‘Chandni’ (1989), a journalist in ‘Mr. India’ (1987), a double role in ‘Chaalbaaz’ (1989), a determined 18-year-old in ‘Lamhe’ (1991), a greedy housewife in ‘Judaai’ (1997), Sridevi possessed the knack to breathe life into her roles.
Shekhar Kapur`s blockbuster hit ‘Mr. India’ in 1987 won her rave reviews and her comic-timing was praised. Prominent sequences in the film are Sridevi`s imitation of Charlie Chaplin and her rain-dance.
Relationship Status of Sridevi: Sridevi married to her co-star, Anil Kapoor`s older brother, Boney, on June 2, 1996. They are now parents of two daughters: Jhanvi and Khushi.
· In 1982. won her first Filmfare Best Actress Award (South-Tamil) for ‘Meendum Kokila’
· In 1990, Filmfare Best Actress Award for her performamce in ‘Chaalbaaz’
· In 1992 Filmfare Best Actress Award for ‘Lamhe’.
· In 1993 won Filmfare Best Actress Award (Telugu) for Kshana Kshanam.
· Sridevi won "Kalasaraswathi" award (1997)by the Government of Andhra Pradesh.
· In 2003 she won MAMI Award for Excellent Contribution to Hindi Cinema
· In the 1980s, Jaya Prada and Sridevi were fierce rivals. They were of a similar age, from the south and considered contenders for the coveted number one slot in Hindi cinema. In public, each would give the other the cold shoulder. Once, during the shooting of a K. Bappaiah film called Maqsad, Rajesh Khanna and Jeetendra locked the two warring queens in the same makeup room hoping they`d make up. No such thing happened. Two hours later, when they opened the door, they found the actresses sitting at opposite ends of the room in silence.
· At the height of her career, Sridevi received countless marriage proposals from wealthy American and British born Indians who saw her as the perfect trophy wife. One of her rumored suitors was Hollywood movie producer Ashok Amritraj.
· Sridevi has also appeared in the TV series `Malini Iyer`, judged a TV show `Kaboom` as well as appeared in numerous print and TV ads. She is also on the Board of Directors of the Asian Academy of Film & Television.
· Sridevi is the sister-in-law of megastar Anil Kapoor with whom she has co-starred in hit movies.
· She was the original choice for the role in `Beta` that made Madhuri Dixit a superstar but turned the role down, because she felt she was already doing too many films with Anil Kapoor.
· Sridevi was offered a role in Jurassic Park by Steven Spielberg. She refused because it wasn`t a starring role and it would have meant taking a hiatus from Bollywood, at a time, when she was at the peak of her career.
· Has two daughters named Jhanvi and Khushi, both named after the heroines in husband Boney Kapoor`s films Judaai (1997) and Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai (2000).
· Sridevi is well known for her amazing dance numbers that inflamed the silver screen. Her dance sequences have the same effect of other South Indian Bollywood divas like Hema Malini and Vyjayantimala. She also capitalized on her innocent looks and glamorous style, which set many hearts on fire. She earned the nickname of ‘Thunder Thighs’ because she wore short skirts during a lot of her dance numbers. The actress also performed a medley of some of the popular songs previously picturised on herself at the 52nd Filmfare Awards 2007.
Sridevi’s reign the top had got her into a lot of controversies. Like her favorite dance directress who had turned for overnight and painted a very black picture of Sridevi calling her all kinds of names. In fact Saroj had even gone to the extent of saying that "What is she without me dances? I`ve made her, etc".
There have been many controversies surrounding Sridevi and Boney Kapoor’s marriage because Boney Kapoor was already married when he became involved with Sridevi and got her pregnant.