Matter closed now: Mahesh Bhatt on Sanjay Dutt`s mercy plea
Kolkata: Amidst growing demand from various quarters seeking pardon for actor Sanjay Dutt, convicted in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case by Supreme Court, eminent producer-director Mahesh Bhatt today said the matter is closed now as Dutt did not seek mercy.
"The Supreme Court has given the verdict and it is very clear. He has accepted it. So now the matter is closed. He is readying himself to walk into the prison like a man," Bhatt told reporters here.
"If his mercy petition is heard then we would be very happy otherwise he would have to serve the jail term like everybody else," he said adding he has a very special relationship with the actor, who has performed in his films like `Sadak`, `Kartoos` and `Kabzaa`.
Maharashtra Governor K Sankaranarayanan has sent 60 representations and petitions received by him from various individuals and organisations to the state home department.
The petitions and representations either seek or oppose clemency for the Bollywood actor.
Press Council of India chairman Justice(retd) Markandeya Katju, expelled Samajwadi Party`s leader Amar Singh, Lok Sabha MP Jaya Prada and West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee are among those who sought mercy for Dutt.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kumkum Bhagya - Episode 725: Sarla reveals the truth behind Pragya's fake pregnancy
- No clash between 'Kaabil' and 'Raees': Hrithik Roshan's thriller drama preponed
- 'Dear Zindagi' new track 'Love you Zindagi Club Mix' will give you serious partying goals! Watch the making
- 7 ways in which you can make your Grandparents feel important!
- Get set to meet Akshay Kumar aka Jolly in 'Jolly LLB 2'! Teaser poster OUT
- Sunny Leone most searched personality of 2016; trumps superstar Salman Khan!
- Vaani Kapoor looks 'Befikre' on Vogue cover!
- Shah Rukh Khan and family looks PICTURE PERFECT, we say touch wood!
- Deepika Padukone flaunts her love for sports – Here’s how
- Deepika Padukone - a marriage material, says Ranveer Singh; Daddy Prakash Padukone reacts